Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2010, 12:56 PM
Top Prospect

Question... would it be really worth it for me to add a sound card to my system? I find the sound to be quite fine right now.

GTX460 via HDMI to a Denon receiver with SVS speakers.

I will never use headphones if that matters.

Thanks for the replies :)
Old September 15, 2010, 01:13 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCZbao View Post
Question... would it be really worth it for me to add a sound card to my system? I find the sound to be quite fine right now.

You are using digital audio output, so the sound processing is being handled by the receiver and not the onboard sound. Adding a sound card will not make any difference. I should have mentioned that a good sound card is only really useful if you are using analog audio output.
Old September 15, 2010, 01:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The difference is significant if you have decent audio gear. The fact is that most people who tell you that onboard is "good enough" have never actually used a good dedicated sound card.
Well it is good enough for the people who only watch shitty vids on youtube, use facebook, get their email, use an ipod for their music, etc. Those people never do anything real wrt audio. It is good enough for them and most of the time they would never even bother considering expensive audio hardware because they do not care.

For us though; get a dedi sound card.
Old September 15, 2010, 01:35 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Well it is good enough for the people who only watch shitty vids on youtube, use facebook, get their email, use an ipod for their music, etc. Those people never do anything real wrt audio. It is good enough for them and most of the time they would never even bother considering expensive audio hardware because they do not care.

For us though; get a dedi sound card.
There are still plenty of enthusiasts who would benefit from a good sound card but still believe that it wouldn't be any better than onboard.
Old September 15, 2010, 01:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
As somebody who's better half can't tell the difference between the output of a $3000 stereo and a $30 ghetto blaster (and/or doesn't care enough to worry about it), I can certainly attest to this sentiment.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You are using digital audio output, so the sound processing is being handled by the receiver and not the onboard sound. Adding a sound card will not make any difference. I should have mentioned that a good sound card is only really useful if you are using analog audio output.

Woot,

Thanks!
Old September 15, 2010, 02:06 PM

My System Specs

Quote:

A bit OT, but what receiver are you using? Is it a Dolby TrueHD / DTS Master capable receiver? I can't get either to work w/ my GTX460. It should list both of them here, but it don't.
Old September 15, 2010, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lowfat, have you updated to the latest beta 260 drivers?
Old September 15, 2010, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
A bit OT, but what receiver are you using? Is it a Dolby TrueHD / DTS Master capable receiver? I can't get either to work w/ my GTX460. It should list both of them here, but it don't.

Oh hey,

It's a 2307-CI, it only supports lossless via LPCM HDMI (source will have to decode, which isn't exactly a bad thing).

I think I read somewhere that True HD and DTS MA requires you to do some crap with a certain version of Power DVD to work (at least with Blu-Rays).
Old September 15, 2010, 02:28 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Oh hey,

It's a 2307-CI, it only supports lossless via LPCM HDMI (source will have to decode, which isn't exactly a bad thing).

I think I read somewhere that True HD and DTS MA requires you to do some crap with a certain version of Power DVD to work (at least with Blu-Rays).
It showed up and worked for a few days. Then it vanished. Won't work on any of my three GTX460's. Thinking my receiver may be crapping out.