Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Need headset/headphones for Games/Music/Movies - PC350? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/36234-need-headset-headphones-games-music-movies-pc350.html)

Pine September 14, 2010 07:15 PM

Need headset/headphones for Games/Music/Movies - PC350?

Hey. My dilemma is as such: I'm looking for an exceptionally well sounding headset for Music (Trance, Rock, Instrumental), Games and Movies (from most to least important, however all of these are important to me).
I have the PC350 ordered from NCIX and it is on backorder with an ETA of 1-2 weeks.
I have read reviews praising the PC350 as the perfect headset, and some reviews and posts saying they are absolutely overpriced, sound hollow and suck. Generally, everybody says the PC350 is more for gaming than music. I'm running off an AuzenTech X-Plosion sound card.

I need recommendations for a pair of good closed, circumaural analog cans that suit my needs (preferably with a mic, but not completely necessary if the headphones are worth the trade off).

A few of the headsets/headphones that stand out are,
SteelSeries Siberia V2
SteelSeries 7H
Sennheiser PC350 (Ordered, can cancel)

That's about it, I will greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Robscix September 14, 2010 07:21 PM

The PC350's are fine but most people that own them will suggest you use them with a headphone amplifier. They are high impedance around 150ohm...

Pine September 14, 2010 07:23 PM

Yea, that is a large concern. I don't own a headphone amplifier and don't have the budget to buy one. I only have my X-Plosion to assist with audio.
Would you still recommend me to get the PC350's ($150+Tax comes to about $170, I'm picking them up locally at NCIX) or should I go for another headset/pair of headphones?

Robscix September 14, 2010 07:26 PM

It's up to you but the latest Xonar card comes with the PC 350's and has a setting in the amplifer for those cans so even Sennheiser suggests you use them with an amplifer.
Long story short, they need an amplifer to sound their best.
You can always grab the amp later but they might not sound all that good without one, weak bass..etc

Pine September 14, 2010 07:28 PM

Alright, so I probably won't be that happy with them, and I don't have the means to buy an amp - what do you suggest as an alternative? I've heard some good things about the 7H and the Siberia V2. Do you have any experience with either?
Do you know any pair of cans that might suit me and my budget of about $150 tops?

Robscix September 14, 2010 07:36 PM

Just read some reviews of cans you might be interested in.
I would suggest something from Grado, such as the SR80's they should be in your price range. Perhaps Sennheiser, The HD555's you might find used for your price range as they are usually about $200 new. I suggest you avoid the "gamer" type cans as they usually will not sound good for anything other then games. Might not sound too good for games either:)
Do some research.
Good luck on your gear hunt

Pine September 14, 2010 07:40 PM

Alright, thanks. I've done a lot of research this past month (a LOT), and read a lot of reviews. They generally say the PC350 is great for gaming but only good for music. I prefer closed over the ear cans which won't leak, so the HD 555's and GRados are out of the question. It's a battle between the PC350, 7H and Siberia V2. Do you think the 7H is worth it, is just about my last question.

Robscix September 14, 2010 07:45 PM

Why are the Grados out of the question? -You can get them for about $90 and they would offer much better sound quality then gamer cans. Check the used markets also as you can find some great units for an cheap prices.

Pine September 14, 2010 07:53 PM

The Grados leak a fair bit of sound, and they're also supra-aural, something I don't quite find comfortable (I've sampled the SR60i's at a local audiophile store, they sounded great but were uncomfortable).

Zero82z September 14, 2010 08:06 PM

Amplifiers don't have to be expensive. You can grab one of these for the PC350s: DealExtreme: $17.41 FiiO E5 3.5mm Earphone Volume Booster Power Amplifier (Black)