Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2010, 07:31 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
What is the Xonar XT? - Do you mean STX?
The HD555's may be a good choice for the OP...
My bad was writing off the top of my head. STX it is.

I sold my HD 555s to get some PC 350, made me a real sad panda, so now I'm selling my PC 350s and buying HD 555s again.
Old September 16, 2010, 07:33 PM
Allstar

The HD555 are a great set for the price.
Old September 16, 2010, 07:34 PM
Top Prospect

Thank you guys for all the posts!
I'm looking into a few more options now, where I see the PC350 is a great headset but it requires amping and some attention, and I don't have the cash for any half-decent amp.
Good stuff, I'll edit this post soon with findings.
Old September 16, 2010, 07:38 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Thank you guys for all the posts!
I'm looking into a few more options now, where I see the PC350 is a great headset but it requires amping and some attention, and I don't have the cash for any half-decent amp.
Good stuff, I'll edit this post soon with findings.
If you don't want to buy an amp or use a card with an amp then you're better off with a different set then the PC350's.
Jackie posted some links to a few decent sets. There are many great sets out there..
Good luck.
Old September 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect

Hey, I've looked into some of the headsets Jack linked me to (Prior to posting, too - I've been lurking the whole internet researching).
I'm running on the Auzen X-Plosion card, but it doesn't have a built-in headphone amp, so yeah, the PC350's are great but not ideal for me.
I can't find any of the higher end headphones such as the M50 anywhere in Canada, and the cheapest I can get it for is going to cost me the same as the PC350's would have.
I have qualms unassociated with sound preference with just about all the cans people have suggested to me (Costing a lot pre/post shipping, being open). I can't fit the Shures into my budget either, forgetting about shipping costs.
My budget is pretty small and that limits me, but I'm looking a bit into the SteelSeries 7H. They seem to be perfect, and Linus had done a review on them and said they easily go up against the HD 555's. They have a microphone and are made by a "gaming" company, and lots of people won't give them a chance due to that, however they're reportedly actually great for music. Any opinions on them?

You guys have been lots of help though, thanks!
Old September 16, 2010, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Couldn't you just get one of those Zalman mics and get a decent pair of headphones instead? I'm no audiophile but these are what i've got and they work quite well.

RP-HTX7-W1 - Headphones - Shop and Compare at Panasonic
From London Drugs and
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=13863&...=ZALMAN%20TECH
from NCIX.

EDIT: The Panasonics are very clear but lack a bit of bass, but that can be adjusted w/ the Xplosion.

-Plato

Last edited by jcmaz; September 16, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:36 PM
Top Prospect

How come the 7H isn't decent though? I never get any reasons .
Anyway, I can't find a way to adjust bass in my X-Plosion drivers, did you mean through EQ?
Old September 16, 2010, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, through EQ. Atleast that is what I do with my HT Omega Striker which is nearly the same as the Xplosion.

-Plato
Old September 16, 2010, 09:56 PM
Top Prospect

Alright thanks. They look like a very decent pair of headphones, however I'm not sure if they'll be so much an upgrade from my current setup. It's difficult to find a good pair of beginner audiophile headphones in Canada that don't sport $40+ shipping and have no warranty. I'm not really an audiophile, I'm simply an individual with a low budget (<$150) seeking some good audio. I just can't seem to find the absolute perfect headphone, so maybe I might have to settle for a bit less, but I'm sure I'll still like it, taking into account I've never really listened to audiophile headphones.

Last edited by Pine; September 16, 2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old September 17, 2010, 05:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'm no audiophile but the first time I plugged my HD 555s in my Xonar Essence STX and played a FLAC version of The Boxer by S&G in foobar2000 ... I cried, no joke.

The HD 555s are on sale for 135$ right now at NCIX, I guess they are clearing stock for the new HD 558s coming soon, but the 555s are still one mighty pair of cans!

But in the end, as long as you are satisfied with what you have, everyone is happy!