Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2010, 09:08 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
I wasn't biting anybodies head off...just following the conversation. You need to lighten up...
Read the post again.
Alright, I misconstrued your post a bit. No harm done.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I would stick with the PC350's for what you are looking for, really they will be your best bang per $.
They are great can's for what they are, and in the future when you upgrade your video card you can search for a proper one with an amp OR find a affordable amp and upgrade your sound. The difference will astound you when you upgrade BUT in the mean time the PC350's work just fine off of a standard pc sound card.

7.1 headphones are cheap and gimmicky, and honestly a waste of cash/time.

Also the option to wait for: NCIX FORUMS - Sennheiser HD 558 & HD 598
But those are open air cans, so not what you were looking for, my bad!
Still a nice preview!
Old September 16, 2010, 09:55 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Alright, I misconstrued your post a bit. No harm done.
No harm done. What I was getting at is the PC350's get a bit of bad press but it seems to be related ot the fact that many do not amp them and they need amplification. Now, I felt I was answering the question about the PC350's however they are far from the only phone out there. I don;lt want to give the impression that I was saying go with them or nothing...far from it.
There are many great sets for good deals. Jackie mentioned a few great deals on Cans. You can also go with the buy/sell forum on head-fi and other headphones sites and get a high quality set for a great deal.
Old September 16, 2010, 09:57 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Good to have you spending more time here. I usually have to track your info down at Guru 3D.
Thanks.
Old September 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
No harm done. What I was getting at is the PC350's get a bit of bad press but it seems to be related ot the fact that many do not amp them and they need amplification. Now, I felt I was answering the question about the PC350's however they are far from the only phone out there. I don;lt want to give the impression that I was saying go with them or nothing...far from it.
As an owner of the 350's, I can vouch that they're good for gaming (very good isolation and microphone especially), but the music aspect takes a bit of a back seat as a result, especially with genres that thrive on bass. And yes, they really do need something more than the usual onboard sound to work right. Also, I think some of the bad press for the 350's comes from people who like other Senn headphones, and aren't fans of the lighter bass and more aggressive midrange.
Old September 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Allstar

I have tested them a few times...including the new Xense Bundle and they have a great deal of bass. Of course the Xense has an onboard amplifier. There are many great phone out there that people use for gaming...
Old September 16, 2010, 12:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

Perhaps, but I had to drill out the earcups before the bass response was acceptable, and that was with a proper headphone amp. But then again, my reference was my hd650's.
Old September 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

Having owned a set of :

Carcharias
HD 555
PC 350

I prefer them for sound in this order : HD 555 > Carcharias > PC350

They were used with an Xonar Essence XT.

Very disapointed with the sound offered by the PC 350s, even with a proper amp. The HD 555s sound amazing, period. The Carcharias impressed me for the price that I paid for them, fairly comfy too.
Old September 16, 2010, 05:03 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADay2Long View Post
Having owned a set of :

Carcharias
HD 555
PC 350

I prefer them for sound in this order : HD 555 > Carcharias > PC350

They were used with an Xonar Essence XT.

Very disapointed with the sound offered by the PC 350s, even with a proper amp. The HD 555s sound amazing, period. The Carcharias impressed me for the price that I paid for them, fairly comfy too.
What is the Xonar XT? - Do you mean STX?
The HD555's may be a good choice for the OP...
Old September 16, 2010, 05:09 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Perhaps, but I had to drill out the earcups before the bass response was acceptable, and that was with a proper headphone amp. But then again, my reference was my hd650's.
Then add in the fact that many suggest the PC350's bundled with the Xense may be modded or rather "tuned" to the card. Some are calling them PC350XE's...
Would be hard to know for sure unless you had both sets to compare...so the jury is still out on that one.
The HD650's are a nice set for sure... I have had my eys on a set of HD800's:)