Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2010, 06:54 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Suggestions on an iPod Dock?

Hi All!

My wife and I are expecting, and she wants an iPod dock that can live in the baby's room, and maybe transition to her room when she returns to teaching.

I know nothing about iPod docks (I'm a Cowon man, myself), so I'm kinda at a loss. I've tried finding reviews on some of the docks for sale at places like best buy, etc, so that I can also go try them out, but there don't seem to be many decent reviews out there.

She's a music teacher, with a really keen ear, so good sound quality is paramount. I'd also like something with:
-aux audio in
-a remote
-(hopefully) a cd slot

Can anyone suggest a decent dock? This is the one I'm currently looking at:

Sony Micro Hi-Fi With iPod Dock (CMTLX20I) - Best Buy Canada

I haven't been in to listen to it yet, though.
Old August 29, 2010, 07:03 PM

My System Specs

iPod Touch/iPhone dock recommendations

thread here with a few suggestions.
Old August 30, 2010, 12:48 PM
Top Prospect

Congrats!

They don't have built in CD but I like the Klipsch iGroove and for something smaller that can be moved easily room to room the JBL Stage micro.

Apart from the Boses... here's a good sample of what's available from the Apple store:

iPod Speakers - Shop Wireless Speakers & Portable Speakers - Apple Store (Canada)

Note that if you come across discounted old models, check that they will charge the newer generations of iPods that lacks firewire support:

iPod nano (4th generation)/iPod nano (5th generation): Charging the battery
Old August 30, 2010, 04:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I hadn't thought of klipsch, but I'll definitely look into it!
Old August 31, 2010, 11:43 AM
Top Prospect

stay away from the touch interface designs sometime the vibrations will make volume auto adjust

Last edited by btecanada; August 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old September 26, 2010, 02:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I thought I'd update this, in case anyone else is looking for a similar recommendation. I ended up going with the Altec Lansing IMT620, as shown here:

Altec Lansing iPod Docking Station (IMT620EAM) - Future Shop

It went on sale for just under $100, and I've seen very positive reviews on its sound quality--something that's awfully important when it's for a music teacher.

We were both quite pleased with it. It's not the greatest looking piece of equipment, but it has wonderfully clear sound for the size, a remote, a tuner, and aux input, and a 5-8 hour battery life (as yet untested) on its built-in rechargeable, so we can take it with us and not have to worry about an outlet. Quite happy with it, even if it doesn't have a CD slot.

Thanks again for any and all input.