Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2010, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Is there a decent soundcard available that comes with a front panel OTHER than the Titanium Champion? I like the idea of a front panel with controls on it, but I'd like to find one that's not high gloss plastic...

*EDIT* Or do most sound cards have support for case front panel audio?

Last edited by Caldezar; August 16, 2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old August 16, 2010, 10:29 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post

Most but not all sound cards do. Just have to make sure before buying
Old August 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Is there a decent soundcard available that comes with a front panel OTHER than the Titanium Champion? I like the idea of a front panel with controls on it, but I'd like to find one that's not high gloss plastic...

Most budget ones don't, except the HT Omega Striker. It is really a give/take situation here. Its Auzentech Xplosion brother doesn't have Front Panel Audio, but has upgradable Opamps. They are based on the same chipset and retail under $100.

-Plato
Old August 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The only Auzentech cards with EAX support are the X-Fi ones. The only real options for gaming sound cards are those, Creative cards, and Xonar cards. The X-Plosion is great in terms of sound quality, but the lack of EAX support is a big sticking point for serious gamers.
Thanks, Zero. Good analysis, imho. I am not much of a gamer or at least, not enough to really care so much about EAX. Looks like proprietary crap from Creative.

However, the Asus Xonar cards look really good and give you all that. I think for gamers, especially if you're buying high-grade $200+ video cards, it's a no-brainer. At the very least, a Xonar DX and if you're using digital processing, it can't hurt. The DX probably has good resell value, too. I also use Linux so the EAX doesn't apply to me anyway. I believe I read that it's not supported yet. The Auzentech Explosion, though, for $35+tax looks really appealing. It has the CMedia chipset so it would be just plug & play in Linux. However, I didn't like Auzentech's website and you have to really look to have a good guess that it would work in Windows 7. Does Windows 7 include CMedia chipsets? On the MS Compatibility page, it states it's supported without any downloads needed? Auzentech lists Vista as the latest Windows OS supported. On NCIX forums, people are asking about it. A bit of a turnoff for me even though that issue is probably trivial.

Therefore, I figure, is the EAX and Xonar DX card worth $40 over a decent bargain card that should do just fine for sound quality although missing some features and a bit ambiguous for supporting Windows 7? I don't know if one should go by 'works in Vista so automatically works in 7.' Anyway, for me, it's difficult to choose between the two because of price but for gamers, I'm sure the Xonar DX seems like the 'cheap sound card' to pick with a lot of other choices if you go for a higher quality more expensive card.

Which one should I choose? :) I suspect I won't be satisfied with the onboard sound and if I decide I hear any static or 'sound issues,' I'll want a discrete card anyway. Nothing is in the PCI slots yet and although I like the idea of having a PCI-e card, I would mostly choose based on thinking the Asus card is a better quality card for not much more money!
Old August 16, 2010, 01:26 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

You can download Win7 drivers for the X-Plosion.
Old August 16, 2010, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
You can download Win7 drivers for the X-Plosion.
Where?

I could figure it might be here:
C-Media Electronics, Inc.

The chipset is the CMI8770. Looks like there's two versions.... one is slightly newer. The older one is a BETA for Windows 7 and the newer one is listed for Vista.

Would be good if someone who has the card and runs Windows 7 can confirm... seems like there's iffy support for the card but it's a good price. I wouldn't spend more than $40 for it and although I hate rebates, with rebate, it's about that.

Edit: Nevermind. Found a direct site. Looks like a release candidate, though...

Auzentech, Inc. Sound Cards. Audio You Can Believe In. World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.

Last edited by technix; August 16, 2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old August 16, 2010, 01:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Where?
Auzentech, Inc. Sound Cards. Audio You Can Believe In. World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming.
Old August 16, 2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Okay.

You have that card and use Windows 7, right? (from your .sig)

Are you satisfied with the driver provided? Any sound issues? How is videos/movies and gaming? Thanks for any answers.

Honestly, I'd like to get that card if there's no problem with the rebate.
Old August 16, 2010, 02:48 PM
Top Prospect

Auzentech has horriable RMA but when the cards work right, they are 110% awesome
Old August 16, 2010, 03:08 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
Okay.

You have that card and use Windows 7, right? (from your .sig)

Are you satisfied with the driver provided? Any sound issues? How is videos/movies and gaming? Thanks for any answers.

Honestly, I'd like to get that card if there's no problem with the rebate.
It's not in my main rig so I've only used it a few times. However, I did not have any issues.