Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2010, 08:59 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Any card has replaceable op amps, if you've got the skills.
Old August 10, 2010, 09:05 PM

My System Specs

For most part EAX is a thing of a past, which is where Creative cards had the advantage. If your budget allows you can't go wrong w/ a Xonar Essense STX if you are using headphones. It still is my card of choice ATM.
Old August 10, 2010, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I have Logitech X-530's which cost me $75 IIRC. I can tell the difference between onboard sound and my Xonar DX. And I'm not an audiophile by any means, as you can see by my speaker choice.
I have the X-540's and the difference between my onboard sound and my Auzentech is night and day.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old August 11, 2010, 12:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 mo' power.

I had a bit more fps when i upgraded my soundcard on my Athlon X2 system. Just a couple of fps tho...

I recommend looking at the Ht Omega Striker. It is nearly the same as the Xplosion but with more outputs (i think) and most importantly, front audio jacks.

-Plato
Old August 15, 2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

I might need a sound card soon so this thread caught my eye. I guess I'm helping to steer the thread off topic a bit, too, so I hope that's okay. If we can temporarily go off-topic a tad, I was just wondering what's the best sound card for movies and music (gaming, too, why not) for under $100. I thought maybe the Asus Xonar DX?

I will probably leave the Audigy 2ZS in my 'other' computer. I bought it for a cheap price way back when because I perceived sound issues with the onboard. It's a Realtek ALC889, I think. The mobo of the other computer is P5Q so I think the onboard sound is ALC1200? I have no idea if it's any good but I'm a bit of an Audiophile myself although I won't be buying extra gadgets right now. I do care if I hear any hissing sound or static and I did with onboard sound with the Gigabyte mobo. Onboard sound might be good now but I think there can be a difference between onboard and a discrete sound card. If I have any issues at all with the onboard sound, I'm getting a sound card.

I also read that it's a good idea to go with a PCI-e card. I tend to agree so I thought the only two cards that are PCI-e and around $100 are the Xonar DX and Creative X-Fi Titanium (?). I mean, those are the best for that price, maybe? I noted that the DX was reviewed here a while ago so it is an older card? But, still good for basic gaming/movies/music?

Anyway, if those cards aren't good for gaming, then please mention since the OP asked for sound cards for gaming. If someone could quickly comment or recommend a sound card (in response to my questions) and then let the thread get back to OP's topic. :)
Old August 15, 2010, 11:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by technix View Post
I might need a sound card soon so this thread caught my eye. I guess I'm helping to steer the thread off topic a bit, too, so I hope that's okay. If we can temporarily go off-topic a tad, I was just wondering what's the best sound card for movies and music (gaming, too, why not) for under $100. I thought maybe the Asus Xonar DX?

I will probably leave the Audigy 2ZS in my 'other' computer. I bought it for a cheap price way back when because I perceived sound issues with the onboard. It's a Realtek ALC889, I think. The mobo of the other computer is P5Q so I think the onboard sound is ALC1200? I have no idea if it's any good but I'm a bit of an Audiophile myself although I won't be buying extra gadgets right now. I do care if I hear any hissing sound or static and I did with onboard sound with the Gigabyte mobo. Onboard sound might be good now but I think there can be a difference between onboard and a discrete sound card. If I have any issues at all with the onboard sound, I'm getting a sound card.

I also read that it's a good idea to go with a PCI-e card. I tend to agree so I thought the only two cards that are PCI-e and around $100 are the Xonar DX and Creative X-Fi Titanium (?). I mean, those are the best for that price, maybe? I noted that the DX was reviewed here a while ago so it is an older card? But, still good for basic gaming/movies/music?

Anyway, if those cards aren't good for gaming, then please mention since the OP asked for sound cards for gaming. If someone could quickly comment or recommend a sound card (in response to my questions) and then let the thread get back to OP's topic. :)
The DX is the best card under $100 for gaming. The Xonars are in general the best gaming cards since they have excellent sound quality and also have EAX emulation.

PCI-E versus PCI doesn't really make a difference. It's all down to what's more convenient for you. The Xonar DX and D1 are the same thing aside from the interface; same thing with the D2 and D2X.
Old August 15, 2010, 11:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well the AuzenTech X-PLOSION is $34.99 after small MIR for the next few days at NCIX. I don't know much (if anything) about sound cards, but I dare say you won't get a much better deal than that.

Last edited by Caldezar; August 15, 2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old August 16, 2010, 12:30 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
Well the AuzenTech X-PLOSION is $34.99 after small MIR for the next few days at NCIX. I don't know much (if anything) about sound cards, but I dare say you won't get a much better deal than that.
The only Auzentech cards with EAX support are the X-Fi ones. The only real options for gaming sound cards are those, Creative cards, and Xonar cards. The X-Plosion is great in terms of sound quality, but the lack of EAX support is a big sticking point for serious gamers.
Old August 16, 2010, 01:13 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quick question. EAX emulation, how good is it?
Old August 16, 2010, 01:19 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty good.