Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
I say you stop sticking your nose into threads involving subjects you know nothing about. How about you do that instead?
Old August 10, 2010, 05:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personnally don't get the need for a soundcard and think that onboard is good enough. I know I just use the on-board for my HTPC and it just uses digital coax to my receiver, so I guess it is the receiver that is doing all the work. But either way I don't really care, to each his own.

But I do have a question for people, would putting in a soundcard improve frame rates? I know on an older machine of mine that had onboard sound would get slow when playing HL2 and there were explosions in the background.

Old August 10, 2010, 05:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
But I do have a question for people, would putting in a soundcard improve frame rates? I know on an older machine of mine that had onboard sound would get slow when playing HL2 and there were explosions in the background.
With modern hardware, that's really a non-issue.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Regarding the drivers, you can always use PAX drivers for Creative soundcards. They seem to be a lot better than the drivers from Creative, though I don't have a sound card to verify this.
Old August 10, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I personnally don't get the need for a soundcard and think that onboard is good enough. I know I just use the on-board for my HTPC and it just uses digital coax to my receiver, so I guess it is the receiver that is doing all the work. But either way I don't really care, to each his own.
To some degree.

Your still relying on your onboard to send the digital signal to the receiver.

If a dedicated does this better than the onboard you may get a better digital signal to the receiver.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:15 PM
Banned
F@H

another infraction...

ok,so if i get something around 50 bucks, will it make a difference from onboard or i shouldnt bother?
Old August 10, 2010, 06:35 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default SOUND CARD

Iam looking for the BEST SOUND CARD ONLY for playing games. I dont care about onboard dolby digital or being able to watch movies. I know there some really good sound cards out there better then the sound blaster but they seem to be more for audio and movie play back.
Old August 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
another infraction...

ok,so if i get something around 50 bucks, will it make a difference from onboard or i shouldnt bother?

Only Audiophiles with high end speakers will notice a difference...and even there there are reviews by places that say there isnt any noticeable difference.

Sound is user-subjective. IMO 99.999% of people wont notice the difference.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old August 10, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mena View Post
Look up Daniel_K incident....then you should see why Creative does not deserve any of your loyalty or money.
I know all about it. I bought my card used so they didn't get any of my money :) I'm not sure of the state on onboard audio these days, but when I was using an a32n SLI Premium and SLI Ultra-D mobo's, going from onboard to an Audigy 2 ZS made a noticeable difference. I'd test it out myself between my x-fi and onboard but way too lazy for that.

This thread has gone waaaaaaaaaay off topic
Old August 10, 2010, 07:54 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
If you get something good and if you have decent headphones or speakers then you will absolutely notice a difference. NCIX has the Auzentech X-Plosion on sale pretty often, and that would be vastly better than any onboard chipset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Only Audiophiles with high end speakers will notice a difference...and even there there are reviews by places that say there isnt any noticeable difference.

Sound is user-subjective. IMO 99.999% of people wont notice the difference.
Once you get rid of those iPod earbuds you'll definitely notice the difference .