Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 31, 2010, 10:59 AM
MVP

Default Swan speakers in Quebec & Other Quality Speaker Stuff

I'm very interested in hearing the Swan line of powered speakers as an upgrade for my pc (Finally got my HT Omega Claro Plus). I have looked but just can't seem to locate a reseller in Quebec, preferably Montreal & the surrounding area. Does a retailer actually exist & if not are there any Canadian online sources for these speakers?

I am also looking at the Edifier S730's, M-Audio Bx5a's & AV40's & a few others and would like info on the best place to actually hear these products as opposed to just seeing them on the shelves.

High end audio shops, IMHO the best place to actually audition a set of speakers, do not generally deal with the type of products I mentioned above but I may be wrong.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old August 1, 2010, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I don't believe there is a reseller for Swan in Canada. I had to order mine from the US. As for auditioning speakers, look under "stereo" in the yellow pages. You should be able to find a decent amount of stores from there.
Old August 1, 2010, 12:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

You could likely call Filion in Laval. I bought my Grados from them and they have most of the better speaker marks being sold or on order.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:29 PM
MVP

I've been to a number of Audio stores such as Son Ideal, Filtronique, ect, but seems that I may need to go back and see what's available. It's been a while since I've had my audio setup in the living room, Mission Cyrus Amps & 3A Acoustics MM Speakers & I may a little rusty but I 100% believe that listening is the key. I am hoping that the better audio stores have the kind of speakers that I'm after.

Would love to listen to some KRK Rokit 6 G2's for example or a set of M-Audio Bx5a's for my pc. Basically a quality pair of powered monitors but I'll consider a passive speaker setup finances permitting.

Fillion is very well regarded btw.
Seems like it time to gather my better recorded music & do some searching & listening.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case

Last edited by kingnubian; August 1, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

You'll never get an appreciation for how speakers will sound from store to your home and the same goes for just about anything like that tvs included.

Acoustics in a store and acoustics in your house are VERY different. Unless the stores have them set up in a very sound proofed room to that of what your hosue is.. they won't sound the same.
Old August 1, 2010, 07:41 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
You'll never get an appreciation for how speakers will sound from store to your home and the same goes for just about anything like that tvs included.

Acoustics in a store and acoustics in your house are VERY different. Unless the stores have them set up in a very sound proofed room to that of what your hosue is.. they won't sound the same.

Some better audio stores will actually let you take the speakers home to audition them to get a better feel of how they will fit in with your room acoustics & setup. These unfortunately are few & far in between.

I've been into Audiophile quality audio for quite a while but now am trying to bring that same quality experience to my pc setup. The sound card came first, HT Omega Claro Plus, now it's time for the speakers.

Suggestions will be appreciated but listening will be the final decision maker.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Old August 1, 2010, 11:05 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do you just want something small that sounds great?

Old August 1, 2010, 11:14 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
Do you just want something small that sounds great?
I have considered both the PSB AlphaB and the Paradigm Atom but they are passive speakers, need an amp, which isn't presently my first choice.

Also these will be sitting on my desk so size does matter....................kinda.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Old August 2, 2010, 03:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

This company, makes "audiophile-grade" speakers, they're from Ontario (Dwight)AFAIK.

Stereo Loudspeakers & Home Theater Speakers at Axiom Audio Your Ultimate Audio Experience

I used to own a pair of Axiom audio Reference speaker set. The pricing was great back in the day.
Not sure how it compares to other speakers today and if they have what you're looking for. They use the national research center fo acoustic research and testing.

Contact Us - Axiom Audio

They advertise FREE SHIPPING in Canada...

Corporate Information - Axiom Audio

Hope that helps!
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; August 2, 2010 at 03:36 AM.
Old August 2, 2010, 08:05 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
This company, makes "audiophile-grade" speakers, they're from Ontario (Dwight)AFAIK.

Stereo Loudspeakers & Home Theater Speakers at Axiom Audio Your Ultimate Audio Experience

I used to own a pair of Axiom audio Reference speaker set. The pricing was great back in the day.
Not sure how it compares to other speakers today and if they have what you're looking for. They use the national research center fo acoustic research and testing.

Contact Us - Axiom Audio

They advertise FREE SHIPPING in Canada...

Corporate Information - Axiom Audio

Hope that helps!

I am familiar with Axiom & have enjoyed some of their speakers in the past, but never owned any. They have to very interesting small monitors even though they are all passive. I will have to check them out.
P.S. they do offer a "Powered Computer Speaker" set.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case