Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2010, 03:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default It's gonna rain Soundcards

Another new card on the way. Auzentech X Meridan 7.1 2G.That, along with the new Soundblaster HD and the Xonar Xense should make some very interesting choices. ROBSCIX has a preview over at Guru. Take a look.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 25, 2010, 10:14 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Too bad it's a PCI card.
Old July 26, 2010, 04:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Too bad it's a PCI card.
What could be too bad for PCI? I thought it was used when all your PCIe slots were either full or blocked by other hardware etc. The Prelude is PCI and many rave about that one.What is truly better? PCI or PCIe?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 26, 2010, 04:53 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

PCI is getting the axe soon.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:05 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
What could be too bad for PCI? I thought it was used when all your PCIe slots were either full or blocked by other hardware etc. The Prelude is PCI and many rave about that one.What is truly better? PCI or PCIe?
PCI support is going to be dropped soon in consumer chipsets. Most modern motherboards only have a few PCI slots, and in my case specifically, both of the PCI slots in my main rig are blocked by graphics cards so I only have room for a PCI-E sound card. Not that I'm looking to replace my Xonar, but still. It would be nice if Auzentech followed in ASUS' footsteps and provided PCI and PCI-E versions of all their cards.
Old July 26, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think this is good news for the enthusiast and mainstream markets. People using old systems (P3,4) will still have access to a wide variety of new surplus and an even wider variety of used motherboards and pci cards as they upgrade to pcie. One used to be able to purchase motherboards with 3 or more pci slots.
Just last month I had a hard time finding an intel motherboard capable of sli that would also accomodate my pci sound card that I bought just last year. I had to settle with a board that is capable of x8 in sli, x4 for physx but I wasn't ready to shell out several hundred dollars to get an x16 sli board that would accept multiple video cards and my sound card.
I will not be purchasing any more pci cards (sound, raid, lan...) from here on out and I'm pretty sure my next motherboard purchase will not have any pci slots.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 26, 2010, 09:34 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I will not buy any PCI sound cards, as I can stick a PCI-E card in a x1, x4, or x16 slot. Sound cards are one of the few things I buy which I tend to stick with for a while, so I need the flexibility of PCI-E.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 26, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Many of us saw this coming but pci is like that old pair of jeans that are really worn out but you just don't want to get rid of because they're so comfortable.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 26, 2010, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

And what's with the tread of only have headphone outputs rather than a typical 7.1 analog output? Seems like it's a trend that'll make it difficult for me to find a suitable card for my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1s.

Granted my Xonar DX sounds decent enough, but I'd really like something without a power cable flopping around. I know, it helps for better sound, but I think I could live without.
Old July 26, 2010, 12:19 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
And what's with the tread of only have headphone outputs rather than a typical 7.1 analog output? Seems like it's a trend that'll make it difficult for me to find a suitable card for my Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1s.

Granted my Xonar DX sounds decent enough, but I'd really like something without a power cable flopping around. I know, it helps for better sound, but I think I could live without.
If you are looking for sound quality you can't really get much better than the Xonar D2X. It still is about as good as they come. Although I am not sure it would be much of an upgrade over what you have for the speakers you have.