Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2010, 06:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If it's going to rain sound cards,I wonder why it's so dry around here. Anybody found anything on release dates?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old August 4, 2010, 08:18 AM
MVP

The PCI vs PCIe debate ,with respect to sound card quality, really doesn't make sense unless you plan on keeping the sound card through a few system upgrades. If you have a motherboard that has PCI & PCIe slots then you are in luck because you have a greater selection to choose from, if not then choose accordingly. With respect to the actual sound quality I've never known the slot the card was designed for having an effect.

I've owned quality cards that use either slots, presently really enjoying a PCI HT Omega Claro Plus which I can recommend easily specially if you are moving from onboard sound or a more basic sound card, and IMHO it all comes down to sound, not the slot.

P.S. a HiFi sound card, just like speakers, really calls for your own ears to make the judgement. This isn't usually possible though, unless you know someone with a handful of sound cards that you are interested in.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply
Old August 6, 2010, 02:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Everyone needs to do some investing into the DAC market, if you truly want good sound, use your spdif outputs into a nice 5.1 receiver with decent home audio speakers, or usb > DAC and run 2.1 sound.
Old August 7, 2010, 07:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i noticed there is a Xonar Xense for sale on ebay. Just one. Perhaps reviewer copy?

Old August 7, 2010, 08:24 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
Everyone needs to do some investing into the DAC market, if you truly want good sound, use your spdif outputs into a nice 5.1 receiver with decent home audio speakers, or usb > DAC and run 2.1 sound.
The DAC sound on higher end soundcards is almost always better than low to midrange receivers. You would need to break in to the $1000 receivers to match the DAC found in the Xonar D2X. There are some good USB DAC's out there however the good ones are likely always more than a comparable sound card.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:37 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Or HDMI audio if you have that. Altought i have a Denon 3808CI (a 1600$CAD receiver when i bought it). The sound from HDMI audio is great during game and music.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:51 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryoohki View Post
Or HDMI audio if you have that. Altought i have a Denon 3808CI (a 1600$CAD receiver when i bought it). The sound from HDMI audio is great during game and music.
HDMI audio is just digital passthrough. The sound you get from it is only as good as the DAC or receiver it is going to.
Old August 31, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

The three sound cards mentioned have been in the works for a few months now. Where are they? When will any of them be released? I didn't order a sound card with my new rig as the X FI Forte I have now appears to be holding it's own. I am however,always wanting a little better if any of those other cards are indeed better.Anyone? ROBSCIX?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old September 5, 2010, 12:16 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
The three sound cards mentioned have been in the works for a few months now. Where are they? When will any of them be released? I didn't order a sound card with my new rig as the X FI Forte I have now appears to be holding it's own. I am however,always wanting a little better if any of those other cards are indeed better.Anyone? ROBSCIX?
There are always soundcards on the way. If I can release the info, I do sneak peaks to let you guys know what is coming up. The Xense was released, I have been testing it for quite awhile now and it is a great bundle. Thats all I will say until the official review hits. The XM2G looks like it will be a great card also but not aimed at the extreme high end. There are a few more in the works, but you will have to wait for info.
To note, on the PCI vs. PCI-E issue, you can get PCI-E to PCI adapters....