Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2010, 05:50 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Doesn't a stereo source automatically default to the front channel output over all of the ports?

Your surround would probably benefit from sending the signal as digital (I use the "coax" as it's easier to find a long shielded RCA cord), and finally your Headphones should probably be set to "headphones" for the output levels.

Am I missing something in what specifically you're trying to do? (Glad you brought it up though.... just noticed that for some reason I never installed the full sound card drivers for my ChIV).
First: No idea, but i highly doubt it. I'll double-check, but I've never heard of the other jacks doubling the stereo out when "not in use" aka 2.1 mode set in the audio control panel.

Second: My surround sound is over 25ft away and i already have a L/R RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable that covers that length. My headphones have their own voluime control, so setting them as "Headphones" won't make a difference for me. It especially doesnt make a difference, since i can't yet output to more than one at a time anyways. Ideally, i'd like them all at line level...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
I may be wrong but dosen't M-audio have a sound card that can do what you want? I will edit later with my search.
M-audio sound cards are more meant for recording AFAIK, and therefore will probably have many inputs and outputs, but not many "nice" features like EAX or dolby-anything. I'm not saying theyre required, im just saying id rather not drop $100 or more on a sound card and find out im missing a feature that my SupremeFX has.
Old July 19, 2010, 06:10 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Hey all, as some of you know I've got the Crosshair IV mobo that uses Creative SupremeFX X-fi onboard audio. The quality is decent, but they only have one stereo output it seems. However, I'd now like to be able to at least use the additional output jacks (the ones intended for 5.1/7.1) as additional stereo outs. Why? I hate splitters and the cheap plastic ones from my local electronics store often break quickly.
I assume by cheap plastic splitters you mean block one's like this TWO 3.5MM (1/8") MONO JACKS TO 3.5MM (1/8") STEREO PHONE PLUG | Cable Adapters | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

If so did you try the cable version like this 15cm (6") stereo headphone Y-adapter | Cable Adapters | Ratings & Reviews | TheSource.ca

I've used both and found the block one's break easily, but with the cable version I have no problems, plus they don't get in the way like the block one's do sometime and you can just plug another one in to get more outputs.
Old July 19, 2010, 06:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
First: No idea, but i highly doubt it. I'll double-check, but I've never heard of the other jacks doubling the stereo out when "not in use" aka 2.1 mode set in the audio control panel.

Second: My surround sound is over 25ft away and i already have a L/R RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable that covers that length. My headphones have their own voluime control, so setting them as "Headphones" won't make a difference for me. It especially doesnt make a difference, since i can't yet output to more than one at a time anyways. Ideally, i'd like them all at line level...

M-audio sound cards are more meant for recording AFAIK, and therefore will probably have many inputs and outputs, but not many "nice" features like EAX or dolby-anything. I'm not saying theyre required, im just saying id rather not drop $100 or more on a sound card and find out im missing a feature that my SupremeFX has.
That's (IMO) the toughest thing to find..... I used to be able to do it using coax spdif out on my Audigy 1 & 2 cards (one of the ports doubles as a coax out if you use a 3.5mm-RCA adapter). It also had the benefit that if I ran media player as my first app, media player was the only audio that made it through to the amp (no PC sounds through the amp). Nothing since then has been able to output a line level signal unaffected by PC volume, and I got mostly that "looking at me like I've got two heads" feeling when I asked about line level output here on the forums.

As far as the headphones go.... I could be wrong, but isn't the output level of a headphone jack supposed to be lower than a standard output? I realise that PC signal levels are different as they're designed for use with powered speakers, but there must be some reason why sound cards have a headphone setting.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 19, 2010, 06:41 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

@TopDogZero: I've seen those cables before, but I think there is some importance in not having the other outputs connected at the same time if i only use one stereo out and split it. I'm concerned with impedence issues, power drop, etc if connect all three together with a split. That is why i'd like to get three separate stereo outs .... or im thinking about just making my own switchbox...
Old July 19, 2010, 06:59 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
@TopDogZero: I've seen those cables before, but I think there is some importance in not having the other outputs connected at the same time if i only use one stereo out and split it. I'm concerned with impedence issues, power drop, etc if connect all three together with a split. That is why i'd like to get three separate stereo outs .... or im thinking about just making my own switchbox...

My mistake I thought you wanted all the outputs on at the same time. I believe a switch box like you said would be your best option. I made one once for one of my early PC's which had no front jacks on the case and a really bad sound card which when the headphones were plugged in no sound came from the speakers and there was no way in software to turn it on or off so I had to unplug the headphones in order to get the speakers to work. Needless to say I it got old really fast having to go behind the PC and plug/unplug them so I made a switch box push button in headphones button out speakers, by using a 3,4 or more position switch you could easily switch the outputs the way you want.
Old July 19, 2010, 07:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Then creative are not for you XD they don'y have any feature. Only a dead good sound but to do multi output you have to reach the 250US price tag and they are all RCA and digital. GL with your search!

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 19, 2010, 08:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Did some hunting

Buy the Atlona AT-LINE-PRO2 Multi-Func Audio-Video Scaler at TigerDirect.ca

Take alook at tiger offering of Atlona there may be somthing cheeper that will do what you want.

Run S/PDIF to your amp and break out from there. Atlona has a S/PDIF to coax if you amp doesent have S/PDIF.
Old July 19, 2010, 08:36 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

.... a $600+ video scaler.... did you even Read this thread at all? Wow...
Old July 19, 2010, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I read firt few posts. was hunting fore a wile.

What you need is an amp .
Old July 19, 2010, 09:02 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
I read firt few posts. was hunting fore a wile.

What you need is an amp .

No. I don't. Please stop posting here now. thanks