Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2010, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Default Sound Card Question

I am planning on buying the Auzentech Forte to connect my 5.1 Speakers to via a Digital Optical cable. I will be using this with my gaming setup there should not be any problem with connecting the Sound Card to the receiver right?
Old July 14, 2010, 12:29 PM

My System Specs

There is no reason to spend so much on a soundcard if all you are going to use it for is optical out. Optical out is bit perfect no matter what source it comes from.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:31 PM
Rookie

I have heard that you must get a soundcard in order for it to decode the audio signal from the game in order to output it as a Digital Signal though? A normal Motherboard Digital Optical Out would not do this would it?
Old July 14, 2010, 12:37 PM

My System Specs

What motherboard? Almost all newer motherboards can output 5.1 over digital toslink. Even for games.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:45 PM
Rookie

The Evga X58 SLI. Although a Sound Card would be much better quality and support more games than a standard Motherboard Digital Optical right? If not the Auzentech Forte I was considering the Bravura, but I heard a few bad things about it.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:51 PM

My System Specs

No sound quality won't be any better when using optical output. The real reason people go w/ expensive sound cards is for there much higher quality analog output. If you are going to use optical out i would just stick w/ onboard.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
Rookie

Ok great thanks! I will just stick with the onboard then.
Old July 14, 2010, 01:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you going from your optical out to speakers specifically or is it going to a receiver of some sort? If so all the audio processing is done at the speakers/receiver and non along the optical signal