Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Not unless you have a plugin for your music playing program that does the upsampling. Otherwise it will only play through the two front channels.
Not true at all.

If windows is selected as 5.1 audio.. your audio player is going to disperse that audio through ALL channels.
Old July 14, 2010, 10:46 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

For more money than the Klipsch set? Forget it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Not true at all.

If windows is selected as 5.1 audio.. your audio player is going to disperse that audio through ALL channels.
No, it won't. Standard audio files are stereo only, and without extra software to upmix the source to 5 channels Windows will just output it as-is.
Old July 15, 2010, 01:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't even think my Z-5500 sound that good. they're okay, and they've got lots of power and a pretty nice sub (as far as thump goes).. but even with the prelude set to exactly where i want it, they're just not quite clean enough for my likings.. but they're worth 300 bucks I'd say... which isn't a lot in the "audiophile" world..

So I can't imagine the X-540 sounding "good"

Cheap 5.1s are just that. They're made to be 5.1 speakers with surround, not necessarily sound quality.. you'd have to spend a lot of money to get a great sounding set.

I also enjoy listening to music in 5.1 which the creative software makes possible by making stereo music come out of all channels. It's still pretty much just left/right.. Having the music come from behind me is great!

But yeah, if you want sound quality at that price, look into some headphones and a sound card anything coming from onboard is gonna be "meh" at best.
Old July 15, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
For more money than the Klipsch set? Forget it.

No, it won't. Standard audio files are stereo only, and without extra software to upmix the source to 5 channels Windows will just output it as-is.
Explain to me then why when I have all 5 of my speakers hooked up.. Winamp plays through all 5?
Old July 15, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well thanks to everyone on their input! I've decided to go with the Klipsch, and they've already been ordered. After thinking about it quite a bit, I'm going with 'quality trumps all'. And I've worked with 2.1 this long without it really being an issue, so it works for me. I think, if I move in to 5.1 in the future, I'll take route suggested and go with a home theatre setup.
Old July 15, 2010, 08:37 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Explain to me then why when I have all 5 of my speakers hooked up.. Winamp plays through all 5?
Because either your speakers/receiver is set to upmix to 5.1 or WinAmp is.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:13 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
See lowfat's post.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:24 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
2-channel music coming through a system with more than 2 channels will still always play through 2 channels (plus subwoofer), unless somewhere in the system you are upmixing the sound through software or hardware. For example, on my Z-5300e's I have an on-the-fly hardware option on the control-pod called "matrix" that upmixes the incoming signal to 4 channels; however, I never use this feature as I personally prefer music in its native 2-channel format (I still need to get some native 4 channel music.)
Old July 28, 2010, 08:34 AM
MVP

Audiophiles will almost always choose a Stereo, two speaker, setup over anything else. Naturally the speakers and the electronics, sound card in this case, will have to be of high quality. 5.1 or 7.1 surround is amazing, don't get me wrong, but with the processing necessary to make it happen, most audiophiles will turn away from those setups, at least with respect to listening to well recorded music.

Besides the M-Audio AV40 there are a few really good sounding "PC Speakers" out there including the AudioEngine 5's & AudioEngine 2's, if you can live with some compromise in bass extension on the 2's, & the KRK RP6G2 Rokit G2's among others.

I have a few friends with the Logitech Z2300 & it is an impressive speaker but IMHO not an accurate one with bass that is tuned to impress rather than compliment & mids & highs that embellish the sound a little too much for my taste. Still it does sound great when gaming, but for music it doesn't quite do it for me. In it's price range though, except for the M-Audio AV40 which may not sound as impressive but actually are more accurate,the Z2300's & other Logitech Speakers are a very attractive buy to lots of people..

Invest in a good sound card, I actually just ordered the HT Omega Claro + a few days ago, so that with real good speakers you can actually notice a difference. The difference will be both bad & good. Poor recordings that you used to listen to before & enjoy will actually sound worse & good recordings will sound better as long as you sound card & speakers are of high quality.

Intel i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz
Asus Sabertooth Z77
16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z (1866MhZ CAS9)
NZXT Kraken X60 CPU Cooler
2x Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD (RAID 0)
Seagate 7200.12 500gig HD
Galaxy GTX660Ti 3GB
LG DVDR
NZXT Phantom 630 Case
Antec TruPower New 750W Power Supply

Last edited by kingnubian; July 28, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old July 28, 2010, 12:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Why not up your budget & go all out for an Edifier S550?You will never have to upgrade your speakers if u choose it.280W RMS of goodness
Check it out

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5851626_n.jpg
2x XFX 7970 Dual Dissipation GHz edition OC@1300/1650 Crossfired/with EK Full block
Corsair 900D
Alphacool monsta 360 wc custom loop with 6 xGentle typhoon 1850rpm
Seasonic X1050 Modular 1050w 80+Gold PSU
2xWDC 1TB Caviar Black
OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD
Red & orange Led kit
Edifier S550 295W RMS 5.1 ch Speakers
Logitech G600 MMO Mouse
Ducky Shine 2