Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 13, 2010, 03:46 PM
shaw

Audiophile (as in your title) equals 2.1, not 5.1. Start with the onboard sound, get these (NCIX.com - Buy Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX Computer Speaker System 160W RMS - PROMEDIA2.1 In Canada.) then upgrade the onboard to an Asus DX Xonar. You won't regret it. That's my hardware on my rig.

edit: on sale this week, 10$ off + free shipping for entire order: NCIX.com - Buy Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX Computer Speaker System 160W RMS - PROMEDIA2.1 In Canada.

Last edited by shaw; July 13, 2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old July 13, 2010, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

I have the logitech Z-2300 and they are a decent system no where near audiophile, I don't even think they make audiophile computer speakers?. They are an all right speaker but the bass can be a bit to much when its up loud but it has a bass control and can be turned down. I have replaced the satellite speakers with some polk book shelf speakers it sounds even better, the original speakers are hollow sounding and lack any mid range sounds. I would say it would be better to get a receiver and buy the speakers of your choice. You can use a 5.1 receiver as just a 2.1 most have a stereo mode and you also have the option of upgrading to surround as well.
Old July 13, 2010, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I personally think the X540's sound great, but i'm no audiophile. Clear highs and a very bassy sub, but the cables are too short.

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the X540's. You could always use the other half of the budget of some headphones...

-Plato
Old July 13, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Gaming? Nothing beats a decent 5.1 setup. Music? Get an external DAC and some active monitors.
Old July 13, 2010, 05:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Amen. I love using my 5.1 setup for gaming, music and movies/tv shows. Whenever i'm stuck going 2.1 or headphones it just isn't the same, i dont catch as much in games or from whatever i am watching. I used the Logitech x-530 until i switched to my home theatre system (which i love), however i have noticed the audio quality is not as good in the x-540s compared to my older (and discontinued for years) x-530
Old July 13, 2010, 06:46 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I find properly placed/configured 2.1 speakers offers quite a bit of immersion. And with a high quality set, it should do such.

I found it helped a ton having my fronts mounted on the bottom of a wall shelf above my monitor. This way the speakers are about ear level, and the 2 fronts offer ample sound to make it feel like your surrounded even though my rears and center aren't on. I personally hate up-mixing music into 5.1 as I find it just sounds absolutely shit. Better to keep it in it's original format.

Granted I have 5.1 though, so I can't comment about games/movies as those run 5.1. Effect should be similar I imagine.

I have the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 hooked up to the Xonar DX (analog).
Old July 13, 2010, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

To many people buy a 5.1 setup and never set it up properly.

If your primary goal is mostly music than 2.1 is perfectly fine and don't be fooled.. Edifier is a company that makes GREAT pc speakers.
Old July 13, 2010, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

After going through replies, and reading some more reviews online, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with a higher quality 2.1 rather than a low quality 5.1. I'm fairly confident it'll suit my needs more. Now I'm just trying to decide between the Edifier S330D's or the Klipsch ProMedia's. The Edifiers certainly have price on their side...
Old July 13, 2010, 07:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

This thread makes me want to buy those Edifier S330Ds. I have a absolutely horrible 2.0 set right now, always have to use headphones.
Old July 13, 2010, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have 5.1 speakers, and i believe they're the best $100 I've ever spent.
I've heard nothing but good reviews from the X-540's. If you want 2.1 go for z-2300.