Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2010, 01:08 AM
Rookie

Question Asus Xonar DX vs. Auzentech Forte

I'm planning on including a sound card in my planned build -- I'll primarily be using the new PC for gaming, mostly with a good-quality headset (still researching that part), so that'll be the main demand on the audio system, but I'd also like decent music quality from any prospective sound card; a tertiary concern is okay quality from a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker set for TV and movies, so full 7.1 surround isn't really an issue.

Some of the features I'd like are a card that uses PCI-e x1 rather than PCI (I'm looking at a Gigabyte X58-UD5 motherboard, and it has a couple x1 slots nicely tucked away above all the graphics card slots, so that'll just prevent any problems if I decide to go Crossfire in future), and front header connectors (I've noticed a lot of high-end cards delete that feature for some strange reason). So basically I've boiled it down to either a Xonar DX or an Auzentech Forte. I think the Forte ought to be the better of the two, but from what I can tell it's not too well supported on the driver front, and people have run into trouble because of this. Does anyone have any experience/comments on either of these cards, or suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks, all.
Old July 9, 2010, 04:35 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I can't comment on the Xonar Dx although I believe it's an excellent card. I do have the Auzentech Forte and love it, the headphone amp sounds amazing and it's been bug free in my system.

Good Luck

Another Guy From Canada
Old July 9, 2010, 03:38 PM

My System Specs

The Forte is generally a better card but it is almost always quite a bit more money.
Old July 9, 2010, 11:36 PM
MVP

They actually just released new drivers for the forte, and NCIX has 40 dollar off sales almost every week.

Does anyone have any experience with the Bravura? I like how it is full form factor, I hate putting small form factor things in my full tower.
Old July 10, 2010, 11:41 AM
Banned

Just curious, how long is the Forte? Looks pretty long for a sound card. I might need a sound card for a build... not sure yet. I'm pretty picky about my sound although the current build (will eventually be a 2nd) is just an Audigy 2ZS.
Old July 14, 2010, 12:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Forte all the way. Headphone amp with good headphones is amazing. The sound is also amazing if you have decent speakers.