Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2010, 11:48 PM
Rookie

Default Soundcard that fits my needs?

Hi,

Today I went to my friend's house and he made me try his headphones + soundcard and I was amazed at how heavenly the sound quality was. It made me realize that I really need a soundcard since my motherboard soundcard isn't really good.

His bundle is ASUS Xonar Essence STX Sound Card & Sennheiser HD 555 Headphones (can't post link since it's my first post) but I don't like the fact that there isn't any 3.5mm input. I need 3 of them because I have a 5.1 speakers set (Logitech X-540).

So I was wondering, what would be the best soundcard for my needs. Following is a list of what I want, in order of priority.

1) Plug my PS3 through toslink (s/pdf?) with support for 5.1 (dolby decoder?)
2) Headphones amp and a good surround emulation for headphones (with a 6.35mm output)
3) 3x3.5mm output in order to output in my speakers (X-540)
4) I have a midi keyboard controller that I use to play piano, and I would like an ASIO decoder to improve the latency time.

Any suggestion? I don't really care about the price, but I consider that >250$ is starting to get expensive.

Thanks!

Cryptophix
Old July 3, 2010, 12:18 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

To get the most out of a sound card upgrade, you'll really have to upgrade your speakers as well. I don't know too much about good speakers since I pay attention mostly to headphones, but even the greatest sound card is not going to make your speakers sound better than they are capable of sounding. With that said, the X-540 is a decent set, and if you don't want to switch, a sound card upgrade would be a good choice. Since you want something with good 5.1 support, I would suggest the ASUS Xonar D2X.
Old July 3, 2010, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I would wait for the Xonar Xense combo that is soon to be available. Check out info from ROBSCIX.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old July 3, 2010, 10:31 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I would wait for the Xonar Xense combo that is soon to be available. Check out info from ROBSCIX.
He wants to keep using his speakers, and he can't use the Xonar Xense combo for the same reason that he can't use the Essence STX.

Last edited by Zero82z; July 3, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old July 3, 2010, 12:03 PM
Rookie

Yeah, I would like to keep my speakers because I've bought them about 4 months ago... I was thinking that maybe I could buy a soundcard to used with my headphones and use my motherboard soundcard for the speakers, but that's kinda stupid because my speaker wouldn't benefit from this soundcard upgrade...
Old July 3, 2010, 03:24 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
He wants to keep using his speakers, and he can't use the Xonar Xense combo for the same reason that he can't use the Essence STX.
Why can he not use speakers w/ the Xense? It had 3.5mm outputs for 8 channel surround.
Old July 3, 2010, 04:33 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Why can he not use speakers w/ the Xense? It had 3.5mm outputs for 8 channel surround.
Ah, I didn't realize it had that little breakout thing that provides extra outputs.
Old July 3, 2010, 09:18 PM
Allstar

There is also the Essence ST w/ H6 card which gives full surround.
Old July 4, 2010, 11:10 AM
Rookie

Can I use the H6 with the STX? Because I also need headphones so I want to buy a bundle. If not I guess I'll wait for the Xense.
Old July 4, 2010, 11:16 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptophix View Post
Can I use the H6 with the STX?
No. The STX doesn't have the header required for it.

Tags
headphones , ps3 , recommendation , sound card , x-540