Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 4, 2010, 12:30 PM
Rookie

Ok thanks! I'll wait to see how much will be the Xense Combo then.
Old December 7, 2010, 04:08 PM
Rookie

Hey, it's me again. I waited and I find that the Xense is quite expensive and I would like to get better headphones than the ones provided with it.

I did some research and I found that there are no afforadble cards that can decode dts in order to play surround from my PS3. So what I would like is a having analogue 5.1 support + headphones amp. I still have to buy headphones tho.

I found some cards but I don't know which one to get. It would be mostly for gaming and watching movies (I don't really listen to music on my pc).

Here's what I've got:

ASUS Xonar Essence ST + H6 card - The best card but it is quite expensive. (180$ + 60$)
ASUS Xonar D2X - No headphone amp but a midi port, which is nice for my keyboard. (180$)
ASUS Xonar Xense - Not that good and expensive. (300$)
X-FI Titanium [FATAL1TY] [Champion] - I've read that although Creative have EAX 5 support, the drivers are awful. (100$, 130$, 170$)
AuzenTech Bravura - Headphone amp is nice. (135$)

There was the AuzenTech Forte, but it is not sold anymore.

Which one is the best card for it's price? Are there better cards available? Also, I really loved the "playing out-of-the-head" feeling that I had while listening to the essence ST (I think it was the Dolby Headphone, but I'm not sure).

I planned to put ~100 - 150$ into headphones so I would like a card that is cheaper than 200$.

Thanks,

Cryptophix

P.S. Sorry for reviving my thread, but it is a follow-up so I thought I should keep it in the same thread.
Old December 7, 2010, 06:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm a huge fan of my Essence STX. While the price of admission is steep, the sound that it pumps out of my Grado's is nothing short of spectacular. Dolby Headphone really brings out sound in movies and games, for that 'out of your head' experience you mentioned.

However, it seems that you might be better served with the Auzentech Forte, given that it has the headphone amp and the breakout cable for analog surround in one package. It is a very impressive card for music, movies and gaming.

NCIX has an open box Forte on their eBay store right now, with just 17 hours left on the auction for $99 US as of this posting!

AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card 35596 on eBay.ca (item 400178211402 end time 08-Dec-10 14:06:26 EST)

Great deal! This way, you get what you want, and you save quite a bit of dough, which you can then pocket, or put towards an even better set of headphones!
Old December 7, 2010, 07:05 PM
Rookie

I might go with that offer, altough I looked around and I thought about maybe buying a G930 wireless usb headset instead, since it combines the soundcard + headset and is wireless.

I don't know if it is a good idea tho, since upgrading (or if it breaks) will mean that I have to replace the whole thing. Also, I don't know about the sound quality in usb headsets and I don't really need the mic.

My choices would be either the G930 (140$) or the Forte (100$) + Senheiser HD555 (150$). The Forte combo would be ~100$ more. Is it really worth it?

Thanks,

Cryptophix
Old December 7, 2010, 07:13 PM
Rookie

Or I could go with the Essence ST and get the H6 extension later, if I can use my onboard sound for the speakers and the ST for sound. And get the Senheiser HD555.
Old December 7, 2010, 07:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I suppose it's about priorities; if gaming is your primary concern, then those Logitech's might be worthwhile. However, when it comes to music, they'll be pretty unsatisfactory compared to a card like the Forte or Essence paired with a nice pair of headphones.

My preference would be spending the extra hundred, as you'll have better overall quality, both in terms of sound, and product. If those G930's break, you're up the proverbial creek. But then, I place a very high priority on musical quality, so I'm biased against a gaming headset.

As for running an Essence and getting the H6 later, that might be a good option, although wouldn't running both onboard and the Asus cause some real driver issues?

Either way, you have a few hours to think it over and research. I'd also do some research on those Senn's, just in case they're what you're looking for in a headphone. It's a shame that zero82 dude isn't around anymore, as this subject is right up his alley.

Tags
headphones , ps3 , recommendation , sound card , x-540