Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 24, 2007, 01:58 AM
Rookie
F@H

Default Problems with HT Omega Striker 7.1 (C-Media 8770)

1. When I use DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Live encoding while playing a stereo source like an mp3 file or watch a video with stereo sound, there is sound coming from all 5 speakers of my Speaker system. How could this be when the source is only 2 channels? NO DSP was used, Neo PC and 7.1 Surround Speaker Shift were both off, why is the card upmixing on its own?

2. This card is supposed to support EAX 1.0 and 2.0, however it's not available. I cannot select it in games, and when I use RightMark 3DSound to test, it reports that EAX is not available on this card, however Direct3D Sound is. How can I enable EAX?

I'm running Windows XP Professional - SP2 32 bit.
The sound card is connected to a set of Logitech Z5500 using a single coaxial cable. I'm using the newest drivers from HT OMEGA's homepage (which is over a year old), version 2013 dated 5/May/2006. All these problems occurred even with a newly formatted HDD and a fresh install of Windows XP with the latest DirectX installed.

Any ideas or pointers would be much appreciated.
Old November 24, 2007, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This is a questions for RobScix- maybe he'll be along soon, but do you have any other types of cables to try around the house?

guy_uoft? ;-)

Last edited by Babrbarossa; November 24, 2007 at 07:11 AM.
Old November 24, 2007, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by divertiti View Post
1. When I use DTS Interactive or Dolby Digital Live encoding while playing a stereo source like an mp3 file or watch a video with stereo sound, there is sound coming from all 5 speakers of my Speaker system. How could this be when the source is only 2 channels? NO DSP was used, Neo PC and 7.1 Surround Speaker Shift were both off, why is the card upmixing on its own?

2. This card is supposed to support EAX 1.0 and 2.0, however it's not available. I cannot select it in games, and when I use RightMark 3DSound to test, it reports that EAX is not available on this card, however Direct3D Sound is. How can I enable EAX?

I'm running Windows XP Professional - SP2 32 bit.
The sound card is connected to a set of Logitech Z5500 using a single coaxial cable. I'm using the newest drivers from HT OMEGA's homepage (which is over a year old), version 2013 dated 5/May/2006. All these problems occurred even with a newly formatted HDD and a fresh install of Windows XP with the latest DirectX installed.

Any ideas or pointers would be much appreciated.
I don't know about part 2 but part 1 is basically because regardless of the settings 2 channel is stereo and it will output it to all speakers no matter what.

Same principle when you listen to your home stereo setup; Play a cd and its only stereo but it'll come through all speakers regardless.
Old November 24, 2007, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I don't know about part 2 but part 1 is basically because regardless of the settings 2 channel is stereo and it will output it to all speakers no matter what.

Same principle when you listen to your home stereo setup; Play a cd and its only stereo but it'll come through all speakers regardless.
Not true. You have to set your stereo with the proper settings to do this OR your receiver automatically upmixes your 2 channel source with DDL or DTS to 5.1. Most older receivers do not do this. I have a 10 year old Sony surround sound unit and I have to set it to some strange setting to get sound from the center and rears when playing a 2 channel source.

DTS and DDL settings will automatically upmix a 2 channel to 5.1. That is the whole point of a soundcard like this. If you shut off DDL and DTS it will revert to just 2 channels even in digital.

As for EAX, C-Media and most other chipsets cannot reproduce EAX even on the claimed EAX 1 & 2 levels. This is well known and documented on the web and has caused them many headaches. If you gotta have EAX, and EAX 1 & 2 is hardly worth anything, then you need a Creative based soundcard.

Last edited by b1lk1; November 24, 2007 at 10:44 AM.