Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2010, 05:08 PM
Top Prospect

Default Need help configuring SB Arenas for 5.1

Alright, got my SB Arena headset yesterday (written a very brief review in the member reviews section), and I love it. The positional audio is pretty good on it (and sometimes great, such as with the THX Jungle demo), but I read about people making it sound just wonderful, which involves tricking windows into thinking your headset is a set of 5.1 speakers, and so windows will send a 5.1 signal to the Arena, where CMSS-3D will do some magic. I have windows detecting it as a stereo source and CMSS-3D creating a 5.1 environment in my headset, but it doesn't fit the description some people give it who have tweaked it correctly. So, I'm asking you guys to help me out. How do I configure the SB Arena headset's 5.1 for the perfect sound?

Edit: Apparently you're supposed to set windows to 5.1 speakers and in creative's control panel set it to headphones and enable CMSS-3D and then it will work great. But windows detects my headset as a headset, because that's what it is, and I don't even have the option to select 5.1 sound to be sent to my headset. So I'm not sure how to get the most out of CMSS-3D?

Last edited by Pine; June 17, 2010 at 07:52 PM.