Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 10, 2010, 05:16 AM
Top Prospect

Default Need Help Choosing Between 3 Headsets, Please

Hello, I'm new around these parts. My name is Pine, nice to meet you.
Anyway, recently I've been looking for the perfect headset for gaming and music, however I've come to a slight dilemma in my research of these devices.
I'm stuck between the following two headsets for the following reasons:
1)Tritton AX PC Pro (TRI-UA513)
-USB
-Real 5.1 (4 Drivers in each Can)
-Great inline controller (Control for subwoofer, front, etc)
-Problem: Reportedly breaks very fast (from a week to a month or so). The microphone stops working all together and one of the cans stops producing sound (infamously the right can). The RMA is slow and after the warranty runs out I don't know what I'll do if they break on me.
2) Creative Sound Blaster Arena Surround
-USB
-Virtual 5.1 (Using CMSS 3D)
-Inline controller (Only microphone mute and headphone volume, though)
-Problem: No real problem, it's just that the Tritton headset has "real" 5.1 and call me a sucker but that sounds good to me. The Tritton is only marginally more expensive ($20 dollars or so) and so I'd like to get it. But the Creative Arena isn't reported to break every couple of days, and isn't that much worse, really.
3)Sennheiser PC350
-regular inline controller
-analog 3.5mm input
-stereo, not 5.1 simulation
-Problem: Well yes they sound great in every area, but people report that they have weak to no bass without an amp or decent sound card, and I really don't want to spend money on any other hardware other than a headset.

So, I really need some advice on this issue.Thanks guys!
Old June 10, 2010, 06:52 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

PC350 hands down.
Old June 10, 2010, 07:59 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there any reason you say the PC350? I'm a bit weary of the "little to no bass" problem, considering I don't have/really don't want to dish out money for an amp or decent sound card (Whereas if I had either, the PC350s would sound godly; I see you have a sweet sound card yourself, and the bass thing isn't a problem for you). Also, how's the positional audio on the PC350s? Lastly, they're about double the price of the Creative Sound Blaster Arena, unless I get em off ebay for $60+$15 shipping, in which case I'm thinking they might be cheap copies (because other people have said that other headphones by the same seller(s) are fakes). They're coming out of China and Hong Kong, these cheap PC350s. I really do want the PC350s over the rest, though...
Old June 10, 2010, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

PC350 to. First of all, Creative are out of the game for headset a long time ago just don't lose your time with them. The tritton are great but to me they are not well balaced for sound. To much base compare to mid and high. They also feel cheaper compare to the Sennheiser.

Where is Jackquelegs when we need him:P if you can talk with him he is an expert in sound and headset so he could help you alot:) Maybe you can try PM him.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 10, 2010, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you must go with one of those three, I would definitely go with Sennheisers just for the name, because I know that they make some quality stuff. Just a thought though, a lot of people seem to be liking the Razer Carcharias, including my self. I won't say they have perfect positional audio, as no 2.1 headset can do that, but I've gamed thoroughly on them and they work very nicely in that department. Good sound too, and I've noticed no lack of bass. I do have a sound card with a built in amp however, so I don't know what onboard audio would be like. I doubt there'd be much difference at all though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Where is Jackquelegs when we need him:P if you can talk with him he is an expert in sound and headset so he could help you alot:) Maybe you can try PM him.
Yeah, Jackquelegs uses the Carcharias for gaming as well.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old June 10, 2010, 09:06 AM
Top Prospect

Alright, thanks guys. I'll try to find this person you speak of. Is there anything you can say about the positional audio on the PC350's? or the bass problem (considering I don't have an amp/soundcard)?
I think I'll look into the Carcharias, also.
Edit: Carcharias looks pretty good; however it's a stereo headset, and if I'm going stereo I think I might as well get the PC350s (however I don't know if the ones for $60+$15 shipping on ebay are real or cheap copies, and buying the 350s retail costs at least $140+shipping)

Last edited by Pine; June 10, 2010 at 09:15 AM.
Old June 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Supposedly, the cheap ones on Ebay are OEM versions, i.e. no retail packaging or warranty. Whether they are knockoffs or not, I can't say.

And if you're going to spend the money on good headphones, a soundcard is a must in my opinion. You'd be amazed at the difference.
Old June 10, 2010, 10:30 AM
Top Prospect

I'm preparing to spend about $80 - The Arena is $70, The Carcharias is $83, The PC350 is $75 or so with shipping (And if they are simply OEM versions without retail packaging, then that's a great snag!).

I don't really want to dish out much on a sound card if I'm going under $100, but if I were to get a cheap one, what would you suggest? Also, if I get a USB headset (Like the Arena), then the sound card is obsolete, right?
Old June 10, 2010, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry I just woke up. Long day yesterday.

Anywho. I never really liked any of the Tritton headsets. When their sound quality is okay, the pricing becomes rather ridiculous. Plus I was never a big fan of "5.1" as you could see from my massive rambling in other threads. It shouldn't be a big factor to consider

I've actually heard good things about the SB Arena headsets, but the pricing is a problem when you compare it to the carcharias which can usually be had for about 69.99. If you catch the SB Arena on sale for cheap, then it's definitely a contender.

PC350 definitely has the name, and the potential to be great. However because someone in the design apartment had a stein too many, the bass got neutered. The PC350s have the same drivers as the HD595, but when there's a huge piece of plastic covering the entire driver, nothing permeates.
Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset - Head-Fi.org Community
This mod makes the sound really come alive, if you decide on it. With that mod, no gaming headset you listed can even touch it.

Lastly, since everyone already recommended the Carcharias, I have to say something about it. It's a great headset at that price range. Sound signature is very warm with plenty of bass. In terms of positioning, a pair of speakers which have wider sound stage definitely will be better, but that being said, it's not terrible. Aside from that, it's VERY comfy. As opposed to the SB Arena, which seem to be closed headphones, which will sweat up and get rather uncomfortable.

here are the lowest prices I found for these

PC350s 130-140$ new
Arenas 78$
Carcharias 70$
Trittons 83$

So..in the end. I would actually recommend the SB Arena or the Carcharias. Where the SB Arena has a slight edge over the Carcharias for sound quality, but Carcharias is slightly cheaper with better comfort for extended gaming.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old June 10, 2010, 11:12 AM
Top Prospect

Wow, that was more useful information than I've gathered in like 2 weeks of thorough research!
Alright, so I've found the SB Arena for 69.99 at a retailer right near me (I can walk/bike there), so no shipping costs. I've read up on PC350 modding lots, and I probably will do so, maybe after my warranty runs out (if I decide to get this headset), my only concern is the price of a retail PC350 set (because it's twice the SB Arena/Carcharias, and whether the ones on eBay are real or not I do not know (because if they are, I'd definitely get them).
Does the Carcharias have noise-cancelling capabilities (not referring to the microphone)?
Thanks a lot, Jackquelegs!