Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 6, 2010, 02:57 PM
Top Prospect

Default Open-Ear headphones not lannable?

I'm looking to possibly get a pair of Audio-Technica ATH AD700 headphones:
ATH-AD700 Open-air Dynamic Headphones Audio - Technica on eBay.ca (item 150443720466 end time 13-Jun-10 11:38:09 EDT)

They are an open-air design, and will be used for lots of gaming. I lan too.

Would the open-air design be SO loud that others will be bothered by them? I don't want others to get annoyed with these headphones!

I also don't need people down the hall to hear them.

Please, any experience with that exact type of headphone, or similar models, is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old June 6, 2010, 04:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Hi!

Others will be able to hear your headphones, it can get very loud, and it will annoy others.

I have this pair of headphones, and tbh, I dont like it, I don't think it deserves the hype it gets.
1) Some like the huge cushions around the ear, I dont, i hate it, I find it constrictive and heavy, kinda like wearing a toque in the winter. It keeps your ears warm.
2) I was not impressed by the sound, the bass just absolutely sucks, its not deep, but its not low either. Its actually kinda boomy. (IMO, its subjective)
3) Its way too loose for my medium sized head.

I consider the HD-555 to be a far better alternative. I've had both for roughly about the same period (2 years?). It didn't take long for wear an tare to take a toll on the AD700, the grills are dented and the velvet is getting in bad shape. The sennheisers however, are still going strong and have taken a far worse beating.

You cannot guarantee the authenticity of audio technica's off ebay, lots of fakes going around.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old June 6, 2010, 05:47 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

At a LAN there will be so much noise coming from elsewhere that I doubt anyone will even notice your headphones. I have a pair of ATH-AD700s, and sound leakage is really not something you have to worry about.
Old June 7, 2010, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Quarter View Post
Hi!

Others will be able to hear your headphones, it can get very loud, and it will annoy others.

In a lanparty, no. If you're in a quiet room with a significant other, then yes it might be a bit annoying.

but nowhere will it be VERY LOUD unless you intend to break the drivers.

Quote:
I have this pair of headphones, and tbh, I dont like it, I don't think it deserves the hype it gets.
1) Some like the huge cushions around the ear, I dont, i hate it, I find it constrictive and heavy, kinda like wearing a toque in the winter. It keeps your ears warm.
2) I was not impressed by the sound, the bass just absolutely sucks, its not deep, but its not low either. Its actually kinda boomy. (IMO, its subjective)
3) Its way too loose for my medium sized head.
AD700s have a hype because they are absolutely great for the price.
1. Then you shouldn't be wearing full size headphones. AD700s are amongst the most comfortable in its price range.
2. I'm sorry..but you expected full bodied bass from...open air headphones? AD700 have enough bass, maybe not for today's young hipsters, but analytically it's reasonable for open airs.
3. Doing it wrong.

Quote:
I consider the HD-555 to be a far better alternative. I've had both for roughly about the same period (2 years?). It didn't take long for wear an tare to take a toll on the AD700, the grills are dented and the velvet is getting in bad shape. The sennheisers however, are still going strong and have taken a far worse beating.
Not..really. HD555s have a strange sound signature that might be okay for gaming, but from a pure audio standpoint, it's not as good.

Also..denting grills? Clearly doing it wrong in terms of user etiquette.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old June 7, 2010, 04:58 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
In a lanparty, no. If you're in a quiet room with a significant other, then yes it might be a bit annoying.

but nowhere will it be VERY LOUD unless you intend to break the drivers.
I'm not disagreeing with this.

Quote:

AD700s have a hype because they are absolutely great for the price.
1. Then you shouldn't be wearing full size headphones. AD700s are amongst the most comfortable in its price range.
2. I'm sorry..but you expected full bodied bass from...open air headphones? AD700 have enough bass, maybe not for today's young hipsters, but analytically it's reasonable for open airs.
3. Doing it wrong.
1. They are not comfortable to me, I dont seem to have a problem with any other pair of headphones, open or closed.
2. I am not expecting full blown bass, not with open headphones nor did I even imply that. I expect clean bass, which the AD700 does not have relative to the HD555. I got other means if I would like ear-shattering bass.
3. Not exactly sure how I should respond to this, sorry that it's too loose for my head? Audio Technicas are notorious for having a loose fit, Google around.

Quote:

Not..really. HD555s have a strange sound signature that might be okay for gaming, but from a pure audio standpoint, it's not as good.

Also..denting grills? Clearly doing it wrong in terms of user etiquette.
Clearly so, i don't exactly baby my headphones, nothing wrong with that, its not like I have a pair of D7000s or anything of the sort, but i do expect them to take a little beating, even just a little. My HD555 and DT770 (especially the latter) have been put through hell, and they look and work just as I first bought them. It should be fair that I expect the same level of build quality with Audio Technica, if it wont last, why bother? The only build quality credit that I give Audio Technica is the cable they use, absolutely superb, otherwise ...

What I enjoy the most about HD555 is its clarity, its very clean sounding for what it is, and thats why I enjoy it so much, and perhaps even why its so darn good with gaming, but claiming one is better than the other from a "pure audio standpoint" on a very subjective matter is quite biased.

I lent the two HD555 and AD700 to a couple of friends (DT770 is my primary really), and they arrived to the same conclusion, so I know I'm not off. Is the AD700 a bad headphone? no, Do I think the HD555 is a much better bargain? yes.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old June 8, 2010, 11:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I have these headphones and really like them. I like the open design since the soundstage is very important to me, and im not a bass junkie. At a lan party, I would say closed would be preferred, but I would take the Ad700. Everyone else is going to have headphones on anyway. Especially with all the background noise in a venue like that, unless you have your headphones at a high volume I dont forsee it being a problem.