Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12, 2010, 06:16 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Psyko Headphone Review, nail in the coffin?

Introduction - Psyko 5.1 PC Gaming Headset Review | [H]ard|OCP

Thought i would pass it along, though its safe to say they didnt like them.

Old May 12, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's fun to read it again

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old May 12, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I can't read it again, it was too painful last time
Old May 12, 2010, 07:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

just a a question i know abit of topic but does the asus crosshair IV come with 5.1 surround sound??
Old May 12, 2010, 07:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

pretty sure most motherboards that have sound on them are 5.1 now a days, especially if its a non bargain barrel one.

Old May 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

nvm after that review i don't think im liking those earphones to much
Old May 12, 2010, 07:45 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

I think the real nail in the coffin was the fact that you could scarcely find the damn things to begin with. Even if they were awesome, it's hard to make money off a product if you only sell 5 units...

Anyway, hopefully this will settle the debate, and we can all go back to living in the real world where 5.1 "gaming" headsets suck and the only way to get truly good audio is by springing for a decent set of real cans.
Old May 12, 2010, 08:42 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

here here zero, i am thinking about getting myself some nice cans soon again, its been too long without some.

Old May 15, 2010, 01:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I saw a set of these at my LCS today. Man, they sure do look ugly in person. It's too bad since it's a local company here in Calgary that makes these.
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB
Old May 15, 2010, 06:01 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For under 100 dollars you can't go wrong with the Razer Carcharias. Pair them up with a decent sound card and they provide pretty good directional sound aswell. Well to be fair I'm sure the sound card is doing most of that work but the Carcharias is a great value. I bought mine when they first release so I've had them for a little over a year and my only complaint after long term use is the mic is becoming a little loose. Not falling off loose, but if anyone has ever owned a GI Joe growing up, you know when you first get an action figure the joints are all tight but after awhile they start flapping around this is what's happening here. It's not to bad now but give it another 6 months and the mic will have a hard time staying in position.

Back on topic. I had high hope for the Pysko's when they were first announced and even considered putting in a pre-order, but I decided to wait for release and read the reviews. Well we're coming up on a year since the first set's starting being delivered in June last year and this is the first serious review I've read. The PR department at Psyko did a great job prior to release of hyping the product but they must have been fired shortly before release because the company fell of the radar pretty quick. They attended big expos for tech and what not, but either did not or could not supply main stream reviewers with sets to test outside of the expo grounds. If a company wants to make it in the computer world and especially if they want to succeed in the PC gaming world they have to support their product and peddle it like a cheap whore. You can't hype then not release it to main stream publications and online sites and expect it to sell, just won't happen.

It seems sometimes companies think because they are building gaming equipment they are making it for kids. Do they not realize that most PC gamers are adult males in thier mid 20's to early 40's? We have the money, we have the buying power and we have enough education and experience not to waste our money. Back to the drawing board Pysko, you've got a great concept and the wave guide technology has been used with success in other products, ie. the Bose wave radio. Most positional audio in games is managed by software for 2.1 systems so make a decent 2.1 set of cans with wave guides and you'll probably produce a much more versitile product.

I recently purchase Razer Mako's off of Bobbylou, which are 2.1 speakers. They have mixed reviews so I'll let you review that on your own time. But I have the perfect setup for these speakers, large solid surface desk in a large room, sub is on a hardwood floor with plenty of clearance around speaker sattelites and sub. This 2.1 set produces excellent simulated surround sound. The omni directional speakers bounce the sound off of my office walls, and the directional sound is very good. Sometimes it's tough to determine distance but I almost always get the correct direction. So good directional sound can be achieved on both 2.1 speakers and headsets given the right conditions. Companies should scale back the pursuit of 5.1, 7.1 headsets and concentrate on better software emulation and higher quality 2.1 systems.

My 2 cents. I know their are very knowledgable audiophiles on this site who are itching to comment, Encorp, Jackleques I'm looking at you guys.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg