Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Psyko Headphone Review, nail in the coffin? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/32046-psyko-headphone-review-nail-coffin.html)

Technokat May 12, 2010 06:16 PM

Psyko Headphone Review, nail in the coffin?

Introduction - Psyko 5.1 PC Gaming Headset Review | [H]ard|OCP

Thought i would pass it along, though its safe to say they didnt like them.

Jackquelegs May 12, 2010 06:29 PM

:haha::haha::haha::thumb:

It's fun to read it again

Jake_HT May 12, 2010 06:43 PM

I can't read it again, it was too painful last time :haha:

LacrosseTown May 12, 2010 07:12 PM

just a a question i know abit of topic:offtopic: but does the asus crosshair IV come with 5.1 surround sound??

Technokat May 12, 2010 07:25 PM

pretty sure most motherboards that have sound on them are 5.1 now a days, especially if its a non bargain barrel one.

LacrosseTown May 12, 2010 07:29 PM

nvm after that review i don't think im liking those earphones to much:blarg:

Zero82z May 12, 2010 07:45 PM

I think the real nail in the coffin was the fact that you could scarcely find the damn things to begin with. Even if they were awesome, it's hard to make money off a product if you only sell 5 units...

Anyway, hopefully this will settle the debate, and we can all go back to living in the real world where 5.1 "gaming" headsets suck and the only way to get truly good audio is by springing for a decent set of real cans.

Technokat May 12, 2010 08:42 PM

here here zero, i am thinking about getting myself some nice cans soon again, its been too long without some.

Signal2Noise May 15, 2010 01:13 AM

I saw a set of these at my LCS today. Man, they sure do look ugly in person. It's too bad since it's a local company here in Calgary that makes these.

Pelt May 15, 2010 06:01 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. For under 100 dollars you can't go wrong with the Razer Carcharias. Pair them up with a decent sound card and they provide pretty good directional sound aswell. Well to be fair I'm sure the sound card is doing most of that work but the Carcharias is a great value. I bought mine when they first release so I've had them for a little over a year and my only complaint after long term use is the mic is becoming a little loose. Not falling off loose, but if anyone has ever owned a GI Joe growing up, you know when you first get an action figure the joints are all tight but after awhile they start flapping around this is what's happening here. It's not to bad now but give it another 6 months and the mic will have a hard time staying in position.

Back on topic. I had high hope for the Pysko's when they were first announced and even considered putting in a pre-order, but I decided to wait for release and read the reviews. Well we're coming up on a year since the first set's starting being delivered in June last year and this is the first serious review I've read. The PR department at Psyko did a great job prior to release of hyping the product but they must have been fired shortly before release because the company fell of the radar pretty quick. They attended big expos for tech and what not, but either did not or could not supply main stream reviewers with sets to test outside of the expo grounds. If a company wants to make it in the computer world and especially if they want to succeed in the PC gaming world they have to support their product and peddle it like a cheap whore. You can't hype then not release it to main stream publications and online sites and expect it to sell, just won't happen.

It seems sometimes companies think because they are building gaming equipment they are making it for kids. Do they not realize that most PC gamers are adult males in thier mid 20's to early 40's? We have the money, we have the buying power and we have enough education and experience not to waste our money. Back to the drawing board Pysko, you've got a great concept and the wave guide technology has been used with success in other products, ie. the Bose wave radio. Most positional audio in games is managed by software for 2.1 systems so make a decent 2.1 set of cans with wave guides and you'll probably produce a much more versitile product.

I recently purchase Razer Mako's off of Bobbylou, which are 2.1 speakers. They have mixed reviews so I'll let you review that on your own time. But I have the perfect setup for these speakers, large solid surface desk in a large room, sub is on a hardwood floor with plenty of clearance around speaker sattelites and sub. This 2.1 set produces excellent simulated surround sound. The omni directional speakers bounce the sound off of my office walls, and the directional sound is very good. Sometimes it's tough to determine distance but I almost always get the correct direction. So good directional sound can be achieved on both 2.1 speakers and headsets given the right conditions. Companies should scale back the pursuit of 5.1, 7.1 headsets and concentrate on better software emulation and higher quality 2.1 systems.

My 2 cents. I know their are very knowledgable audiophiles on this site who are itching to comment, Encorp, Jackleques I'm looking at you guys.