Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 19, 2010, 09:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Have either one of you two honestly ever tried a pair of 5.1 Trittons or a pair of Pyskos? I'm betting the answer is NO. So why the ignorant comments? I've heard that some people aren't bothering with HWC much anymore. I'm assuming this is why. Some people don't respect the opinions of others.
Problem with your argument is that I have Tritton 5.1s, but I'm too ashamed to list them in my equipment list.

Quote:
By the way Jackquelegs, for some people the equation is "gaming experience= gadgets" because they are gaming FOR FUN...... rather then "skills > gadgets" which would be for nerds playing online and trying to prove they are better then someone they don't know and have never met.
Oh excellent, another generalization. I tend to see this a lot on people WHO ARGUE ON THE INTERNET.
Quote:
He just wants to know if someone has tried a 5.1 surround sound GAMING headset that's better. No one is able to recommend anything thus far. Are they?
Because no headphone manufacturer is stupid enough to sell a "5.1" headset product. When for that amount of money a true 5.1 system can be purchased.

Seems like you're getting all riled up for your friend here. Ironically your stubbornness blinds you from seeing the opinions of others (and quite widely accepted btw), that we're simply suggesting there are much better alternatives to the Psykos, both in price and sense.

What your friend, and apparently you cannot comprehend is that there is another world outside the 5.1 gimmicks and "gaming". Where the word "immersion" does not track to mediocre sound quality. And Sound quality does not relate to how much you've blown in cash.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Last edited by Jackquelegs; May 19, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killswitch View Post
Have either one of you two honestly ever tried a pair of 5.1 Trittons or a pair of Pyskos? I'm betting the answer is NO. So why the ignorant comments? I've heard that some people aren't bothering with HWC much anymore. I'm assuming this is why. Some people don't respect the opinions of others.

By the way Jackquelegs, for some people the equation is "gaming experience= gadgets" because they are gaming FOR FUN...... rather then "skills > gadgets" which would be for nerds playing online and trying to prove they are better then someone they don't know and have never met.

FYI Slik doesn't game online. At all.

So, wanting a great gaming experience is the reason why Slik enjoys the great surround provided by his Psyko headphones, and his 30" Dell monitor, and his ButtKicker, and his Trackir 5, and all the other great toys he has.

Gaming experience.

Period.

He just wants to know if someone has tried a 5.1 surround sound GAMING headset that's better. No one is able to recommend anything thus far. Are they?
I have no interest in trying a bunch of junky surround headsets. I tried the Zalman 5.1 set a while back and I found it to be absolutely awful; more than that, I'm not going to spend any money to buy a pair of headphones that I know I'll be disappointed in.

FYI, the set I currently use (audiotechnica ATH-AD700) is the set that was compared against the Psykos in that review, and was found to be vastly superior in every regard. So perhaps Silk should try a pair of quality headphones if he wants a better gaming experience, because who knows, he might actually enjoy the improvement in sound quality compared to his Psykos. But maybe you're too busy bashing my opinion that 5.1 headphones are crap to actually pause for a moment and think that maybe there is something to what I'm saying if everybody else is also saying the same thing. If he has the money to buy an Alienware PC and all this other stuff then he surely has the money to buy a quality set of audiophile headphones so he can try them and see first-hand how his Psykos compare.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I've had some pretty great headsets in my time (mostly Senns but I am currently using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s complemented by a set of VERY old Grados) and after trying out the Psyko set, I'll have to say that I was reasonably impressed. Will these stand up to studio-grade 'phones in terms of sound quality and reproduction? Heck no, they're not even close. However, once properly set up with the right frequency ranges as Psyko DETAILS in their instructions, passable sound production can be achieved without too much hassle.

We all have to remember this product is not being sold to people who want to watch movies or listen to studio-quality music. It targets a niche crowd that wants something different and would like to listen to directional sound without waking up the neighbors with a proper 5.1 speaker set. Unlike past solutions like Zalman's and Turtle Beach's truly horrible efforts, this one actually works when it comes to reproduction of directional effects. Sure, sound quality could be better but it isn't "bad" by any stretch of the imagination and to be honest with you, this set simply blows Beyerdynamic's Headzone products out of the water. Price for the Headzone: ~$2000.

Seriously, to all the people who haven't tried these: tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Be my guest. I tried them at CES, had a pair shipped to me for a short time and then tried them again at a Fry's in the States. It all comes down to properly setting them up and if you don't, the sound they produce is tinny, unfortunately faded and actually sounds a lot like those old, cheap Koss headphones everyone seemed to replace their original Walkman ones with.

I don't usually harp on other reviews but I for one think that the review linked was far, far too harsh and many of you are reading far too much into it. One overly poor review does not equate a bad product.

Last edited by SKYMTL; May 19, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
We all have to remember this product is not being sold to people who want to watch movies or listen to studio-quality music. It targets a niche crowd that wants something different and would like to listen to directional sound without waking up the neighbors with a proper 5.1 speaker set.
The last time I checked sound quality was integral to enjoying...well anything

Zephyranthes

Old May 19, 2010, 10:16 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
As I said, once properly set up these things have good sound quality but not what anyone would call "great" by any stretch of the imagination. For many people (me, I prefer a good pair of stereo headphones), there is a preference for directional sound rather than ear-shattering acoustical perfection. Everyone knew there were limitations to this product but I don't think the actual sound quality itself is bad enough to dissuade people from buying it for its intended use: gaming in an enclosed 5.1 sound space.

Audio aficionados will pick it apart but once again: it is not targeted towards them in any way, shape or form.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Audio aficionados will pick it apart but once again: it is not targeted towards them in any way, shape or form.
As with most audio aficionados, we would gladly sacrifice "5.1" for sound quality. I think that's the point that's been regurgitated over and over in this and the other thread. Even a good pair of stereo headphones/speakers have great directionality indication as mentioned by Pelt.

Again I am emphasizing the fact that in the small trade-off of the 5.1 with a small loss of directionality precision, you can obtain stellar sound quality in return. Logically, it's a great trade-off.

Zephyranthes

Old May 20, 2010, 04:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I've had some pretty great headsets in my time (mostly Senns but I am currently using a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880s complemented by a set of VERY old Grados) and after trying out the Psyko set, I'll have to say that I was reasonably impressed. Will these stand up to studio-grade 'phones in terms of sound quality and reproduction? Heck no, they're not even close. However, once properly set up with the right frequency ranges as Psyko DETAILS in their instructions, passable sound production can be achieved without too much hassle.

We all have to remember this product is not being sold to people who want to watch movies or listen to studio-quality music. It targets a niche crowd that wants something different and would like to listen to directional sound without waking up the neighbors with a proper 5.1 speaker set. Unlike past solutions like Zalman's and Turtle Beach's truly horrible efforts, this one actually works when it comes to reproduction of directional effects. Sure, sound quality could be better but it isn't "bad" by any stretch of the imagination and to be honest with you, this set simply blows Beyerdynamic's Headzone products out of the water. Price for the Headzone: ~$2000.

Seriously, to all the people who haven't tried these: tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. Be my guest. I tried them at CES, had a pair shipped to me for a short time and then tried them again at a Fry's in the States. It all comes down to properly setting them up and if you don't, the sound they produce is tinny, unfortunately faded and actually sounds a lot like those old, cheap Koss headphones everyone seemed to replace their original Walkman ones with.

I don't usually harp on other reviews but I for one think that the review linked was far, far too harsh and many of you are reading far too much into it. One overly poor review does not equate a bad product.
Thank you. I had no idea that Psyko would be recieved in a negative given it is a Canadian company with a new and promising product. I love them. I will say no more.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 20, 2010, 05:24 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
Thank you. I had no idea that Psyko would be recieved in a negative given it is a Canadian company with a new and promising product. I love them. I will say no more.
Just because they're Canadian doesn't mean I'll automatically love them. They'll have to provide a quality product first, and in that respect, they have failed. Like I said, try on a real set of audiophile headphones and compare them to the Psykos. Until you do that, anything you might say to praise them is not especially meaningful since you never compared them to a truly high quality set of headphones.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
that isn't essentially true, i have as much fun gaming with my hd555s as i d o with the cheapo sony headset i have, yeah it sounds no where near as fun but it doesn't make me enjoy the games i play any less.
Opinions, people have them.

Old May 21, 2010, 07:27 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaGle1337 View Post
Opinions, people have them.
True. Without them forums would not exist. (Imo)
System Spec Peripherals: Corsair H70 cpu cooler (w/ 2 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850rpm fans) | Zalman MFC3 fan controller | Gigabyte Aivia Osmium kb | Steelseries Sensei mouse | Logitech Z-2300 2.1 speakers | SteelSeries SX mouse surface
For the real serious stuff: 2.53GHz Mac Mini | 4GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 320GB HDD | Samsung P2250 (x2) | Apple Magic Mouse | Apple Magic Trackpad | Apple Wireless KB | Drobo FS 6.5TB
Laptops: Dell XPS M1530 | Asus G74SX-DH71
Surface Pro 128GB