Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 15, 2010, 07:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I agree with pelt on the carcharias, you really cant go wrong with them at their price point. They sound good, and are comfy.

Old May 15, 2010, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I commented in the other thread already

But yes the Carcharias delivers the most bang for buck here. I do feel somewhat bad for Psyko Audio, since they had a good concept, and had the courage to innovate beyond the norms of the market, only to be let down by poor execution

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old May 15, 2010, 04:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the Carcharias's as well and love them. Aside from the muffs being a little large, the sound is great for the price, and great directional audio.
Old May 19, 2010, 06:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have a set of Psykos and I have been using them for over a year now. Yesterday,I thought I would try out my Trittons again just for a re-check on the comparison.I am right back to my Psykos. Most of the comments I have read are from people that don't own a set. These things are for Gaming only.Once that is understood,I can tell you that no other set of cans that I have tried[and I have tried many] can match the Psykos in positional and overall surround sound when gaming.If you want great music,there are many many good sets available. If you have not tried the Psykos,there is no way any person ought to call them crap.I own a set and I firmly believe these are the best 5.1s out there. Thanks all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 19, 2010, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
If you have not tried the Psykos,there is no way any person ought to call them crap.I own a set and I firmly believe these are the best 5.1s out there. Thanks all.
You know the problem with your logic is? The reviewer tried the Psykos and called them crap.

You say the psykos are ONLY for gaming. I'm assuming that from your viewpoint, gaming audio does not deserve audio quality.

Positioning can easy be determined by experience through stereo sound system. Again, skills > gadgets

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old May 19, 2010, 10:03 AM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Had a chance to test them out quickly the other day.

Actually, in terms of sound they aren't half bad but DAMN they are way bigger than I thought, and for me it was to top heavy. If I let my neck go loose and slouch a bit, the weight of the headphones pulled my head forward.

Though he talks about the creative wireless headphones... I currently own the HS-1200 and I definitely didn't find them even CLOSE to the same ballpark.
The Zalman 5.1's I found even worse to.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Had a chance to test them out quickly the other day.

Actually, in terms of sound they aren't half bad but DAMN they are way bigger than I thought, and for me it was to top heavy. If I let my neck go loose and slouch a bit, the weight of the headphones pulled my head forward.

Though he talks about the creative wireless headphones... I currently own the HS-1200 and I definitely didn't find them even CLOSE to the same ballpark.
The Zalman 5.1's I found even worse to.
Well when the speakers are on top and there's huge sound vanes coming from above, of course it's going to be top-heavy.
Old May 19, 2010, 04:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I have a set of Psykos and I have been using them for over a year now. Yesterday,I thought I would try out my Trittons again just for a re-check on the comparison.I am right back to my Psykos. Most of the comments I have read are from people that don't own a set. These things are for Gaming only.Once that is understood,I can tell you that no other set of cans that I have tried[and I have tried many] can match the Psykos in positional and overall surround sound when gaming.If you want great music,there are many many good sets available. If you have not tried the Psykos,there is no way any person ought to call them crap.I own a set and I firmly believe these are the best 5.1s out there. Thanks all.
Maybe you should put on some real headphones and then re-evaluate your opinions. You're comparing something that's crap to something that's even crappier. No offense, but you can't just judge these headphones against other 5.1 sets, because they all suck. And it's especially not relevant considering the ridiculous cost of these things. Compare them to some other sets of $300 cans and then see how well they do. I guarantee you that true quality headphones at around that price point will blow the Psykos away in every respect.
Old May 19, 2010, 05:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Guys don't bust on Silk. He loves his Psykos and they work well for him. Just as beauty is in the eye of beholder so is sound. If he's happy then that is all that matters.

If I see these on sale for about 150 which I think is likely now that NCIX is stocking them, if they don't sell well within the next 6 months you might see a crazy deal. Just like they did with the Razer Mako's retail in 299 and they were on sale not long ago for 150. I'm would buy them out of shear curiosity alone, but sure as hell not at 299.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old May 19, 2010, 09:17 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
You know the problem with your logic is? The reviewer tried the Psykos and called them crap.

You say the psykos are ONLY for gaming. I'm assuming that from your viewpoint, gaming audio does not deserve audio quality.

Positioning can easy be determined by experience through stereo sound system. Again, skills > gadgets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Maybe you should put on some real headphones and then re-evaluate your opinions. You're comparing something that's crap to something that's even crappier. No offense, but you can't just judge these headphones against other 5.1 sets, because they all suck. And it's especially not relevant considering the ridiculous cost of these things. Compare them to some other sets of $300 cans and then see how well they do. I guarantee you that true quality headphones at around that price point will blow the Psykos away in every respect.
Have either one of you two honestly ever tried a pair of 5.1 Trittons or a pair of Pyskos? I'm betting the answer is NO. So why the ignorant comments? I've heard that some people aren't bothering with HWC much anymore. I'm assuming this is why. Some people don't respect the opinions of others.

By the way Jackquelegs, for some people the equation is "gaming experience= gadgets" because they are gaming FOR FUN...... rather then "skills > gadgets" which would be for nerds playing online and trying to prove they are better then someone they don't know and have never met.

FYI Slik doesn't game online. At all.

So, wanting a great gaming experience is the reason why Slik enjoys the great surround provided by his Psyko headphones, and his 30" Dell monitor, and his ButtKicker, and his Trackir 5, and all the other great toys he has.

Gaming experience.

Period.

He just wants to know if someone has tried a 5.1 surround sound GAMING headset that's better. No one is able to recommend anything thus far. Are they?