Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2010, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Question Soundblaster Choices??

I currently have 2 Creative Soundblaster cards.
1. PCI Express Titanium X-Fi
2. X-Fi xtreme audio
Which card would you recommend for gaming? BFBC2 etc.
I had #1 installed and could not get my mic to work in BFBC2. Recommendations?
See system specs listed with my post.
Old May 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The Titanium is a much better card. I don't know why you weren't able to get your microphone to work, but I suggest you stick with that card, though you could try the other one just to see if it will work with your mic. If your motherboard has onboard audio, you might even be able to use that to handle the microphone and just use the X-Fi to handle audio output.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

My motherboard has the Realtek Audio Driver but I have always thought that the onboard audio was inferior to an add in card.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:04 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

It is, but as far as using a microphone for voice chat, I doubt you'd notice a difference between onboard and a dedicated card. The real importance of a sound card is for sound output, not input. In any case, if you can't get the mic working with your card altogether, you may as well give the onboard a shot.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
It is, but as far as using a microphone for voice chat, I doubt you'd notice a difference between onboard and a dedicated card. The real importance of a sound card is for sound output, not input. In any case, if you can't get the mic working with your card altogether, you may as well give the onboard a shot.
Could it be possible that the reason he couldn't get the mic to work with the card was that he forgot to disable the on board audio?
Old May 10, 2010, 05:16 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Could it be possible that the reason he couldn't get the mic to work with the card was that he forgot to disable the on board audio?
Possible, but unlikely. Windows should default to using the sound card's microphone input. However, it can be checked easily enough by right-clicking on the sound icon and picking Recording devices.
Old May 10, 2010, 05:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The onboard audio was disabled in the BIOS. The mic wasn't working for BFBC2 but I could get it to work for windows audio. Must be a BFBC2 issue and maybe I need to do more research on that issue. I've been on a few BFBC2 servers where people were using voice and it sure helps with team gameplay. I guess I have 3 options for sound. The 2 SB cards and the onboard sound. With a quad core CPU I'm sure it's really not going to affect my gaming framerate that much, so it's an option. I'll try the Titanium card again, if I'm not happy with I'll try the onboard sound. The Creative drivers are certainly bloatware. Back to the Montreal - Pittsburg game for the moment. Thanks for the feedback guys.