Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2007, 10:01 AM
Top Prospect

Default Audigy 2 upgrade?

I currently have an Audigy 2 sound card. I have had it for several years and put it into a few of my different systems. It has served me well. I have very little knowledge about sound card tech now as the Audigy 2 was doing the job fine. However recently with games like ArmA the Audigy 2 is to old, it doesn't support the lates EAX. I game regularily and use the computer for listening to music second.

Is it time to upgrade? Would the newer X-Fi gamer be a good choice or not worth it? I'm a little leary of going up to the $200 range cards simply because if I game mostly and only have to drive headphones or a mediocer set of 5.1 speakers I won't gain much?

So any thoughts on what would be a worth while upgrade if at all? :help:
Old November 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
Allstar

The only EAX a new card has your Audigy 2 doesn't is EAX 5.0. Which is not in very many games. The new cards usch as a Prelude are amazing for sound quality and features. If you buy one you will probably notice your speakers or headphones are lacking and buy new ones also...So...I say it is worth the upgrade but be forwarned you will most likly want new speakers or heapdhones also. Good luck with your purchase
Old November 7, 2007, 08:50 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks Robscix. My headphones are, I would say, a moderate quality Sony set. A noticable step up from the cheap ones I used to have. My speakers are a low end 5.1 set but I find I use the headphones more.

So the prelude would be a worth while card but going with the creative xtream gamer wouldn't be a worth while step if I only gain EAX 5.0. Thanks for the recomendation.
Old November 7, 2007, 09:35 AM
Allstar

I don't want to say don't buy these cards. You should notice a increase in sound quality to some extent. I just want you to know what your paying for if you upgrade to a X-fi model.