Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 27, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Psyko at big stores.

I received email from Psyko and thier 5.1 Head Phones will finally be for sale at NCIX and Tiger Direct. I have had mine now for several months but I never heard that anyone else ever had a set. Now maybe,all the nay sayers should hear from others how good these things really are. Take care all.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 7, 2010, 08:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I find it difficult to believe that in this group of high end system owners and gamers, that no person other than myself has a set of Psykos. Now that they are available at NCIX,Tigr direct etc.,surely someone else has something to say about them.Am I really the only one? I would like to hear other opinions. Anyone? Is there another set out there that are better? Thanks.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old May 7, 2010, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think the hype has worn off man. I mean they're almost a year late and Head_Psyko promised updates on HWC, but has failed to do so. I don't think their advertising and marketing was good at all. If AkG or lemonlime can get a hold of a pair of retail cans, maybe we can get some hype here.

As much as they were one of the more interesting technologies last year at one of the technology events, they failed to live to the hype. I'm with you man, these sounded like some pretty cool headphones, but I've moved on in that time.

EDIT: Just to show how bad their PR was, I contacted Psyko both by their website and on here, and didn't get anything back. I was pretty ticked.
Old May 7, 2010, 09:59 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I find it difficult to believe that in this group of high end system owners and gamers, that no person other than myself has a set of Psykos. Now that they are available at NCIX,Tigr direct etc.,surely someone else has something to say about them.Am I really the only one? I would like to hear other opinions. Anyone? Is there another set out there that are better? Thanks.
I'm thinking you're just looking for reassurance for your purchase. Despite the "epic sound quality", people who are good at games will still be good regardless, and can do just as well with a pair of decent stereo headphones.

I only see this headset as another gimmick, maybe one slightly more useful than the usual 5.1 gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Last edited by Jackquelegs; May 7, 2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I'm thinking you're just looking for reassurance for your purchase. Despite the "epic sound quality", people who are good at games will still be good regardless, and can do just as well with a pair of decent stereo headphones.

I only see this headset as another gimmick, maybe one slightly more useful than the usual 5.1 gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless.
It's not reassurance that I'm looking for,rather,I'm trying to find someone who owns a set and would have a comparison to a set they might have that I don't. I have compared mine to the AX Pros,the Turtle Beach AK8s,and a couple of cheaper sets including USB cans. No other cans have been suggested as being better or equal because it appears that no one else has a set of Psykos to make any comparisons with. My point ends up being that..If there is a better Headphone out there I will buy them.I trust the opinions of members of this Forum and that is why I ask those questions.{Maybe a little reassurance as well.} Thanks to all responding.Your input is why I became part of this Forum in the first place.Take cars.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oooo I like cars!
Old May 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

I must agree with Bojangles. I actually will have a chance to test the Psyko's out very soon (not in a review capacity, just on my own)

They sounded like an amazing headset when they debuted... at CES 2009. Then the Beats came out and stole the show (mind you a different target audience) But now a year later we are seeing a retail product. Hype has worn off and Psyko is going to have to get some review samples out to reputable website as they are not an established brand and don't have a famous rap star supporting them.
Old May 7, 2010, 12:35 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Define what you are looking for. Are you looking for sound quality or "surround sound". IF its the latter then yeah they are probably one of the better ones out there in this small niche. This is NOT the same as saying there are not better cans out there. Just none in the microscopic surround sound niche.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 7, 2010, 04:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still don't quite understand the concept of ...GAMING HEADSETS.

To me they are a niche for companies to sell substandard quality headphones with a mic attached for sometimes ridiculous prices.

I would say most of the cans out there in the 100$ range such as HD555s or AD700 with a 3$ clip on mic would offer the best SQ per buck.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old May 7, 2010, 05:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
I still don't quite understand the concept of ...GAMING HEADSETS.

To me they are a niche for companies to sell substandard quality headphones with a mic attached for sometimes ridiculous prices.

I would say most of the cans out there in the 100$ range such as HD555s or AD700 with a 3$ clip on mic would offer the best SQ per buck.
Yup, I agree completely. For the amount of money I spent on my sound setup, you wouldn't get anywhere near the same quality with "gaming" headphones.