Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2010, 09:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Recommendations for headsets

I need to buy a headset.

The problem I have is that the house I live in 8 months of the year during which time I go to school has 4 other university students living with me. Not everyone has the same time/class/sleep schedule so I sometimes end up being awake after everyone else. I live on the top floor of our house with two other roomates and the other two downstairs.

The other problem is that I own Z-5500 speakers and you can kinda see where I'm going with this.

I wouldn't necessarily call myself a die hard audiophile, but I can still tell the difference between good sound and great sound which is why I have the Z-5500 speakers with the X-Fi Fatil1ty Pro Gamer, and Shure SE115s for my iPhone (not the best audio equipment out there, but they're still great).

PC gaming headsets is something new to me as the headset I use and have owned for over 5 years now has been a Logitech headset that goes around the back of your head and around your ears that came with my BF2 pre-order.

My budget is ~$100. Although I wouldn't necessarily say that I have a "real" budget because I'll spend an extra $50 if it means that there is going to be a significant differences between a $100 headset and a $150 headset, otherwise I'll just go with the $100 headset (a true die hard audiophile wouldn't think like this I assume).

So I've been doing some research (mostly round-up reviews by sites) and have come up with these candidates:

Logitech G35 - $124.99
Razer Barracuda HP-1 - $109.99
SteelSeries SteelSound 5H v2 - $99.99
Razer Carcharias - $84.99
Creative Sound Blaster Arena Surround - $79.99
Plantronics GameCom 777 - $67.99
Fatal1ty Pro Gaming Headset MKII - $59.99

That's basically the list I'm looking at but I'm definitely open to suggestions and other recommendations.

To me, the one thing I'm mostly looking for is decent-to-good comfort, and nice bass with good sound clarity (not too "muddy" and "flat" audio).

Last edited by Dark-Colonel; April 16, 2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old April 15, 2010, 11:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark-Colonel View Post

Logitech G35 - $124.99
Razer Barracuda HP-1 - $109.99
SteelSeries SteelSound 5H v2 - $99.99
Razer Carcharias - $84.99
Creative Sound Blaster Arena Surround - $79.99
Fatal1ty Pro Gaming Headset MKII - $59.99

That's basically the list I'm looking at but I'm definitely open to suggestions and other recommendations.

To me, the one thing I'm mostly looking for is decent-to-good comfort, and nice bass with good sound clarity (not too "muddy" and "flat" audio).
Carcharias has good definition, but definitely bass heavy. However it's still the best at that price range at 70$, and it's supremely comfortable

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old April 16, 2010, 02:31 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Carcharias is a great headset for the price I bought one shortly after release and have no regrets. Stay away from the Barracuda even if it's free, the build quality is garbage.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Old April 16, 2010, 08:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Thanks for the response guys.

Yeah I've been told to stay away from the HP-1 as one guy showed me his fell apart in 3 pieces.

As for the Carcharias I've been told by others that its decent, but for the price there are better options (both higher and lower in cost). The mic is apparently good and the sound quality is decent but apparently not worth it at $90+ after taxes.

I really wish I could test drive some of these somewhere since its really up to the individual to decide which is best.
Old April 16, 2010, 08:44 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Ill put in another vote for the Carcharias. By far the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. Sounds great too.
Old April 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Ill put in another vote for the Carcharias. By far the most comfortable headset I've ever worn. Sounds great too.
Yet another vote for Carcharias. Can't compare to anything else in OP list. But was very surprised on how comfortable it is on my ears. Sound is good, but too subjective to decide for anyone else.

Old April 16, 2010, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I have the previous Fatality headset (basically same as the ones you posted). I bought them used. The sound is decent but likely not as good as a couple others on that list. They are damn comfortable though and that's why I like them. Good sound for gaming but probably not the best for music.

BTW my wife just bought those SE115s about a month ago. Very clear sound indeed, great earbuds. I have the JBL Reference 220s which do have a decided bass bias but are probably the best earbuds I have ever owned for my taste.

GL

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 16, 2010, 11:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Ok looks like I'll have to give the Carcharias a shot since they appear to receive the most support. I'll give them a go sometime next week when I've finished my exams.
Old April 16, 2010, 11:20 PM
Rookie
F@H

I've been using the Logitech G35s...Although they're pretty great headphones - comfortable, good sound and bass, I cant justify the price tag on them. I've heard the Carcharias being pretty good too, and the prices (if you can even find it on sale too) are well priced for the quality and comfort. I cant say whats more comfortable and better sounding since I've only really used the G35s, but I'm sure you wont be disappointed with the Carcharias
Old April 17, 2010, 10:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Calcharias, or Sennheiser hd555s with an external mic either on the desk or taped to them :P