Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 31, 2007, 11:51 AM
Rookie

Default What 7.1 Speaker system you recommand for this sound chip?

I use an Asus motherboard P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP
and the sound chip is an ADIŽ AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
From that description my guess is it supports 7.1 speaker setup.
with this information in hand I was looking to get a 7.1 computer speaker system to connect to this board do you guys have any suggestions on what speaker system I should get?

I live in the Ottawa area and would prefer to pickup then order online if possible but if there is some great deal online I will go for it.
Old October 31, 2007, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurobashing View Post
I use an Asus motherboard P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP
and the sound chip is an ADIŽ AD1988B 8-channel High Definition Audio CODEC
From that description my guess is it supports 7.1 speaker setup.
with this information in hand I was looking to get a 7.1 computer speaker system to connect to this board do you guys have any suggestions on what speaker system I should get?

I live in the Ottawa area and would prefer to pickup then order online if possible but if there is some great deal online I will go for it.
None. The onboard audio is crap :P Pickup a decent soundcard if you want to do that.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:29 PM
Rookie

hehe I was looking for that remark too I am looking to get a Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1 soundcard.

Since it seem to have a good review anyone would say different?

Or should I get a low end 7.1 sound card and wait for some new generation sound cards?

I am looking to buy a card that will give me those new audio format that are on those HD-DVD and BLUE-RAY dvd's would this card be good for couples years? or should I get a different card?

Last edited by neurobashing; October 31, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old October 31, 2007, 12:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurobashing View Post
hehe I was looking for that remark too I am looking to get a Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1 soundcard.

Since it seem to have a good review anyone would say different?

Or should I get a low end 7.1 sound card and wait for some new generation sound cards?

If you can afford and GET a prelude do it.
Old October 31, 2007, 01:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think there's many high-end 7.1 systems out there. I think only Creative put out a set a few years back.

Probably best to stick to 5.1 as theres more selection.
Old October 31, 2007, 01:43 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I don't think there's many high-end 7.1 systems out there. I think only Creative put out a set a few years back.

Probably best to stick to 5.1 as theres more selection.
True, the Creative S750 is only sold in Europe now, and along with the (also discontinued) Klipsch 5.1 Ultra were the best computer speakers available.

In terms of sound quality, the computer speaker market is rather bleak now for 7.1 and 5.1 sets.
Old October 31, 2007, 02:10 PM
Rookie

I see so should I still get a good sound card that does 7.1 and use a speaker set that only does 5.1 untill there is good sets?

Or get a 5.1 sound card + 5.1 speakers..and later when there is sets that does 7.1 to update the whole thing?

Or will a 7.1 sound card will still work fine on a 5.1 speaker set?
If I should stay in the 5.1 range any sound card and speaker set that I should be looking for or would recommand?
Old October 31, 2007, 03:19 PM
Allstar

Almost any modern sound card or on board sound chip will support 5.1 or 71. Most people I know just stick with 5.1. It is hard enough to find spots for a 5.1 system around a PC desk a 7.1 just adds more trouble and not much benefit. That just a opinion though.
Old October 31, 2007, 06:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
True, the Creative S750 is only sold in Europe now, and along with the (also discontinued) Klipsch 5.1 Ultra were the best computer speakers available.

In terms of sound quality, the computer speaker market is rather bleak now for 7.1 and 5.1 sets.
I have the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras. Awesome speakers they are, however the amp has a tendency to fail. Already got it replaced once.

The Logitech Z-5500s aren't bad either, probably the best on the market right now even.
Old November 1, 2007, 07:43 AM
Allstar

The Edifier S5.1's are better then Logitechs. I have heard both sets and that is my opinion.
The Z's have more power...but not better sound quality. They don't have full spectrum playback. They have bass and high frequency. This is typical of a system with only one-way drivers. The Edifier system has two way drivers. -One for Mids one for high frequencies.
Gives a nice even tone. Very nice.

Last edited by Robscix; November 1, 2007 at 09:08 AM.