Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2010, 11:44 PM
Top Prospect

Default bad headset or bad onboard sound?

I have a question. I tried searching for it a bit and didnt see anything about what I wanted. I recently bought myself a new PC headset. mostly for youtube videos and skype. But I noticed the volume of the mic was really low. I searched online for a fix and all I saw was to boost it in the mic settings. Doing this increases a lot of background noise. Its actually pretty bad.

I'm using the Razer Carcharias. very comfortable and sound good to me, the mic is just poor for me. now, I am using the onboard sound in on my Asus P6T SE mobo. I want to know if the headset is bad, or if its just the fact that onboard audio is inferior to dedicated sound?

thank you.
Old April 11, 2010, 12:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Skype

Ihad the same problem with Scype. Is your onboard sound realtek if it is upload the latest driver and there is a place in device settings to boost mic input. Also in windows contol pannel there is a set up speach recognition icon use this to set up EQ the micriphone. In volume controle there is a leveling slider fore micraphone. set up micraphone with Eco sound test and leveling in scype. Set adio quualty in realtek driver to stodio saound.

This is what I did Micriphone boost 10 db fore me in realtek driver
Old April 11, 2010, 12:35 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZLEE View Post
Ihad the same problem with Scype. Is your onboard sound realtek if it is upload the latest driver and there is a place in device settings to boost mic input. Also in windows contol pannel there is a set up speach recognition icon use this to set up EQ the micriphone. In volume controle there is a leveling slider fore micraphone. set up micraphone with Eco sound test and leveling in scype. Set adio quualty in realtek driver to stodio saound.

This is what I did Micriphone boost 10 db fore me in realtek driver
the onboard sound is realtek latest drivers from asus, I've boosted my mic to 20db, but because of that I have severe background noise. I've done all that you have said, and nothing helps.

I'm afraid I'll just have to get a new headset... probably a USB one as my roomate's works perfectly and his was only like $15....
Old April 11, 2010, 12:46 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have another microphone you could try or some way to get your hands on one for a little while?
Old April 11, 2010, 01:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Do you have another microphone you could try or some way to get your hands on one for a little while?
ive been borrowing my roommate's mic. why do you ask?
Old April 11, 2010, 11:31 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

If it connects through a 3.5mm jack like your Razer microphone, you can compare the two and see if it's your onboard sound or just the microphone that's causing the low volume. Of course, if this is the USB headset you mentioned before, that won't work since it has its own sound card.
Old April 11, 2010, 12:31 PM
Top Prospect

well, i think it is the headset since I tried it in my roommates Pc and its the same thing. I really want a headset as comfortable as the Razer ones I have, but that use USB. any good suggestions? I'll be looking at other threads too.
Old May 24, 2010, 09:16 PM
Top Prospect

well, maybe its just an over-exaggeration, but I think its just that onboard Audio sucks..... I havent tried my headphones on a PC with an actual soundcard, so I cant say for sure, but as soon as I got a USB soundcard, my headphones work perfectly now.
Old May 24, 2010, 10:38 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Well, yes, onboard audio does suck. I would recommend that you purchase a decent quality sound card though, rather than sticking with a USB adapter. Those adapters tend to not be particularly great.