Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 2, 2010, 09:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Looking for a sound card

Heya,

Any recommendations for a good sound card? Been looking at a few but there aren't many reviews out there for this type of thing. I'm looking in terms of gaming sound cards, music maybe, but no intention of home theatre or things like that.

Option 1: Buy the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy SE at TigerDirect.ca
Old April 2, 2010, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That same card is cheaper at NCIX. I would recommend something a little better than that. Auzentech, Asus and HT Omega are pretty reputable. If you happen to be on a bit of a budget, I would recommend this card for what you plan on using it for.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ture=AuzenTech

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old April 2, 2010, 05:41 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Was also looking at the Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium, those seem to be pretty damn good! What do you think?
Old April 2, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to be a fan of creative, but I had problems with their products in the past. Since I went with Auzentech, I have had no problems whatsoever. Others will chime in over the next few days with suggestions for you. I suspect that the forum will be slower than usual due to the long weekend.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old April 2, 2010, 08:45 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

All budgetary concerns aside, this is what I would go for: http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...nufacture=ASUS

You probably don't want to spend that much, but there are cheaper models here: NCIX.com - Buy Sound Cards In Canada.
Old April 2, 2010, 09:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I like my HT Omega Striker. It has all the features that you'll ever need.

-Plato
Old April 2, 2010, 09:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Looking at the Asus Xonar D2X right now, looks pretty damn solid!
Old April 3, 2010, 02:32 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Sound card recomendations are always tough, because everyone hears something slightly different then the next guy. The cards already mentioned above are all great cards but the question is what do you want your sound card to do. Are you primarily a gamer? Then you may consider a card that supports EAX which means either a Creative card or an Azuentech. Do you want something for your HTPC? Then the ASUS recommended by Zero is the way to go.

My personal recommendation is the Azuentech Forte, it does everything very well not spectacular but very good for the price. Problem is finding one, I can't seem to find them at NCIX. I picked mine up on sale for 99 dollars but they average 140 dollars. The Forte is a great gaming card that supports EAX even though most games don't use it anymore and it does a decent job reproducing sound for movies.

That's my two cents for what it's worth good luck finding the right card. There are alot of folks on hear much better versed in sound technology that will weigh in over the next bit.

Auzentech, Inc. X-Fi Forte PCI-Express Soundcard : World First soundcards for Music, HTPC, and Gaming

http://lh4.ggpht.com/nightwarp/R7YQuMGt-JI/AAAAAAAADoQ/KVuthG6qJfE/s400/Supportourtroops-2.jpg

Last edited by Pelt; April 3, 2010 at 02:33 AM. Reason: adding link
Old April 3, 2010, 06:47 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Mainly gaming yes, music and movies would be secondary. I don't watch anything on my PC, I do so with my laptop and my TV. That Auzentech looks pretty good
Old April 3, 2010, 07:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Why has no one asked you what your current sound set up as well because the best sound card on the market can only make low end speakers sound so good before its a waste of money for the extra audio performance