Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 1, 2010, 03:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Time to upgrade from an Audigy 2?

Yes, its not even the ZS version! I have had this bad boy/girl from the first PC I bought almost 7 years ago, a Dell XPS (the honkin blue one). Yes, I know, I bought a dell, but it was the last computer I ever bought. Plus, it had the famed 9800 Pro in it!!

Anyways, I was just wondering if there would be a huge difference in audio quality for gaming. I am currently using Realtek onboard sound on my P5Q Pro running through Razer Barracuda HP-1 5.1 Channel Gaming Headphones, which work quite nicely I might add. Would I see much of a sound difference?

The onboard also controls the audio via SPDIF for my HDMI going to my 42" LG 1080p TV which passes through to an old 5.1 sound system.

I use the audigy 2 for just normal computer speakers (2.1 but are actually 4.1, Altec lansings that also came with the Dell!) because it sometimes cuts out at horrible times.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a new computer and am wondering if I should throw a soundcard in with it, and if so, which one?
Old April 1, 2010, 01:55 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Truthfully it isn't necessary unless you're a hardcore audiophile. The performance impact is negligible with todays technology, and the only reason you would need a seperate sound card is if you find the onboard sound lacking in clarity.

I also find it a hassle juggling updated drivers all the time in order to get the latest functions out of a sound card, then having to roll them back because of blah blah blah in this game or that. Just stick with onboard, it's simple, compatible with just about everything, and you don't worry about it again.

That said, if you were to spring for a sound card, don't skimp out. Go for an Asus Xonar DX 7.1 or better (around $90 canadian on direct canada).

Antec Three Hundred Gamer Case
Intel Core-i5 3570k at 4GHz
Asus P8Z68M-PRO
12GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600
Diamond Radeon 5870 1GB
500GB Seagate HDD 64MB Cache
Silverstone 500w Silent
Old April 1, 2010, 06:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have an Audigy 2 as well and quite frankly, I can't tell the difference between onboard and the sound card. I guess you can blame the crappy $10 speakers.