Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2010, 05:41 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Running Audio Through My PC

To start I'll give you a overview of what I'm wanting to accomplish. I want to get a nice headset (I got my eye of the Logitech G35's right now), but all of the good, but not super expensive headsets are USB. However, I play games quite a bit on both my PS3 and PC so I would like a nice headset that would work for both.

So what I'm wanting to do is run my PS3's sound through my PC, and output through the USB headset. I have no soundcard at the moment, and I'm fairly certain that I'm going to need one, but I have zero experience in the soundcard world and was hoping that you lads could help me pick one to suit my purposes.

The PS3's sound will be running through optical, and it needs it be streamed right through immediately to USB.

*typo on the title, should say 'through' not 'throw'

Last edited by SneakySnake; March 9, 2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old March 11, 2010, 04:50 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Your motherboard should have a digital input, so a sound card isn't necessary. Just make sure your headset is the primary output and monitor or "Listen To" that digital input that your PS3 is connected by.
Old March 12, 2010, 09:39 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The only audio in on my board (in sig) is a headphone in, I have optical out, but no optical in.
Old March 12, 2010, 11:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It looks as if you will need to buy a sound card. I would recommend a card from the Auzentech line but I'm sure that others will chime in with good suggestions as well.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old March 12, 2010, 09:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Can't go wrong with Auzentech. My suggestion would be the AuzenTech X-RAIDER 7.1, as it has digital in and isn't expensive.
Old March 13, 2010, 01:50 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xillionous View Post
Can't go wrong with Auzentech. My suggestion would be the AuzenTech X-RAIDER 7.1, as it has digital in and isn't expensive.
Looks like a great card, so I just do what Xillionous said - run the PS3 through optical into the digital in on the sound card, and then set the it to 'listen to' in the driver.

However, it appears that that sound card doesn't have USB, so if i'm running the USB only Logitech G35, will that work? Since it would have to be plugged into the back of the mobo
Old March 14, 2010, 06:11 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I forgot that you want the G35 so that wouldn't work at all. This is because the G35 has it's own sound card and will bypass your integrated / dedicated sound card. May I suggest spending a little more and get Sennheiser's PC350 or another analog headset.

| Samsung T220 | Steelseries SX Pro | Razer Lachesis Phantom White | Logitech Illuminated Keyboard | Sennheiser HD555 | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 |
Old March 14, 2010, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hey dood just pm a mod and they can get the title fixed up for you.

EE