Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 30, 2010, 12:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Vaporx 4890 and 5.1 surround

Hey Everyone,

I have a P6t deluxe v2 mb and a Sapphire Vaporx 4890 HD card and am running the native hdmi port to my plasma tv at the moment. Problem is, I can't figure out how to enable the surround sound. It only transmits in stereo (I have an optical out connecting to a reciever from my tv to enable surround). Both components are supposed to support 5.1, so how on earth do I get it set up?

Any help would be great, I'm not having much luck.

Last edited by FreeKnight; January 31, 2010 at 08:09 AM.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:49 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you REALLY sure your TV outputs in 5.1? My Sharp Aquos doesn't. I found that out the hard way. Also, try configuring the speaker setup for the ATI Onboard decoder, it may be set to 2 channel instead of 6.

Or you could use your mobo sound card, and use the optical out direct to your receiver.
Old January 30, 2010, 03:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Are you REALLY sure your TV outputs in 5.1? My Sharp Aquos doesn't. I found that out the hard way. Also, try configuring the speaker setup for the ATI Onboard decoder, it may be set to 2 channel instead of 6.

Or you could use your mobo sound card, and use the optical out direct to your receiver.
Yeah I'm not too sure how many TVs actually output 5.1 optical. My Sony didn't either, but I ended up getting a HDMI receiver shortly after.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies everyone, my TV does transmit in 5.1 via the optical out, I just tested it with SFIV on the 360 that I have plugged into my TV. Sugar J; where do I find the controls for the onboard decoder? I looked the the ATI CCC, but didn't have any luck.
I also found this page 737-32277: AC3 (Dolby Digital/DTS) Audio Playback Issues when using an HDMI Receiver, but after I install the drivers I only get 'No compressed formats found'. My max supported channels is listed as '2' as well.

The front two speakers are receiver the stereo sound, but the sub and rears are definitely not.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

What receiver are you using? I know of a lot of the lower ends that will either just pass through the hdmi audio signal from the input device to the tv, while others will just output 2.0 audio instead of true surround sound. It may also be a sending you havent set up with your receiver since i know i had to fiddle with a few settings to get mine to initially work from hdmi out on my pc to my receiver.
Old January 31, 2010, 11:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using a small Samsung receiver/DVD unit. I got i because it fit into my entertainment cabinet and had nice speakers, but it's inputs are pretty limited (a couple stereo inputs, an HDMI out, ipod jack, and one optical audio in (which is going from my TV to the unit)). The TV absolutely transmits in 5.1, Cal discs, DVDs, the 360 all give true surround not just 2.0 blaring on all speakers.

I tried running the optical audio from my MB to the receiver and it works with full surround. I think it's something in the ATI drivers or possibly win 7, but I'm not having any luck finding a solution still. If I had another optical in on the receiver it wouldn't be an issue, but I don't want to buy another receiver so would like to figure out why I can't select 5.1 on the HDMI out.