Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 7, 2007, 10:09 PM
Rookie

Red face Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio is not really a X-FI sound card

im current thinking of upgrading my sound, to a sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio from my current sound that build in to mobo a realtek alc883 chip

but i heard some real hoary story about this card, one is it not really a real x fi card, but a rework audigy se

now my question is this card any good, i seem some review from people that got it say it not, and keep away from it as it false label by creative

so just how good is this card any way

more info

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio is not really a X-FI sound card
read this and it will explain
that one reason why d rive for this card can not be use on only X-FI card, as this one really is not in same class

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Audigy SE ,They share the same chipset? Audigy SE (black PCB) is not X-Fi for sure, but how about this X-Fi Xtreme Audio (blue PCB)? It brings X-Fi name but without the X-Fi chip (it uses same chip with Audigy SE)? CA106 chip-- not a X-FI chip
real X-Fi chipset (, it’s CA20K1!): This is the “giant” processor with huge amount of transistors and outstanding processing power. The “old” chip doesn’t have such capability.
I think Creative shouldn’t trick the consumer by providing X-Fi logo on card which has no X-Fi chip inside. Yes perhaps they can emulate the X-Fi software to run on this old non X-Fi chip
Old October 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmer View Post
im current thinking of upgrading my sound, to a sound blaster x-fi xtreme audio from my current sound that build in to mobo a realtek alc883 chip

but i heard some real hoary story about this card, one is it not really a real x fi card, but a rework audigy se

now my question is this card any good, i seem some review from people that got it say it not, and keep away from it as it false label by creative

so just how good is this card any way

more info

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio is not really a X-FI sound card
read this and it will explain
that one reason why d rive for this card can not be use on only X-FI card, as this one really is not in same class

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Audigy SE ,They share the same chipset? Audigy SE (black PCB) is not X-Fi for sure, but how about this X-Fi Xtreme Audio (blue PCB)? It brings X-Fi name but without the X-Fi chip (it uses same chip with Audigy SE)? CA106 chip-- not a X-FI chip
real X-Fi chipset (, it’s CA20K1!): This is the “giant” processor with huge amount of transistors and outstanding processing power. The “old” chip doesn’t have such capability.
I think Creative shouldn’t trick the consumer by providing X-Fi logo on card which has no X-Fi chip inside. Yes perhaps they can emulate the X-Fi software to run on this old non X-Fi chip
Just pick up a Auzentech X-Plosion you'll be much happier.
Old October 8, 2007, 06:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah defintly stay away from this card, I bought one to replace my Audigymp3+ and guess what after a few songs a couple of game and out came the "x-fi" and back in went the Audigy. X-fi sounded flat, had horrible SCP issuses and just plain sucked. I knew it wasnt a great card but for what I paid thought it might fit the bill, not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 8, 2007, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

Would that Auzentech X-Plosion be better than my X-FI Xtrememusic? And do they come with drivers that are actually better than the ones from SB?
• - 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
• - Ultra X3 1000 Watt
• - Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
• - Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
• - Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
• - CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
• - Dell UltraSharp 24''
• - Noctua NH-D14
Old October 8, 2007, 09:21 AM
Allstar

The X-Audio has no TRUE 20KX DSP chip. It is a software based card. Most guys looking for a X-fi will avoid this card.
Old October 9, 2007, 08:21 PM
Rookie

Default update on my post

i send a email to creative and her what i got back

The X-Fi Xtreme Audio does have the X-Fi technology, but the chipset is different than the other cards. For the best experience I would recommend the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro Series. The X-Fi Xtreme Audio is still a high quality soundcard. Please contact us if you need any further assistance
Old October 10, 2007, 05:40 AM
Allstar

Yeah, well that is customer care for you. The X-audio does not contain a 20 KX which is the X-fi processor. The card performs all features in software.

Perhaps this is why they suggest the X-gamer to you?
Old October 10, 2007, 04:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtfarmer View Post
The X-Fi Xtreme Audio is still a high quality soundcard.
No way I buy that statement after owning one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old October 11, 2007, 07:53 AM
Rookie

well there first answer email i got back from creative was to short on answer for me so i send a other one
i ask them this

question::::
how can you say the The X-Fi Xtreme Audio has X-Fi technology when it the same chip as the Audigy SE CA106 chip--that sure is not a X-FI chip

the real X-Fi chipset (, it’s CA20K1 so how can you say it got X-Fi, just how does it have it, i like to know, please e xplan how it can have x-fi on a old out dated chip, that i like to know

what it is is a rework audigy se , at double the price

and here what i got back

From: "Creative Americas Customer Care" <CLI.Customerservice@customercare.creative.com>

Sent: Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:27 Am
Thank you for reaching us at Creative Email Technical Support.
I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. I am sorry for the trouble
you having. I understand that you are wanting to know why it has the
same chipset as the Audigy but called the X-FI. The X-FI Audio dhas the
same features and uses the same technology as the all the X-FI cards do
even if it does not have the same chipset it still uses the X-FI
technology as all the XFI sound cards it is the entry level upgrade from
the onboard sound and as all the same features as our other X-FI cards.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you still require assistance, please reply to this email with any
previous correspondence to ensure the quickest and most accurate
service.

Old October 11, 2007, 08:19 AM
Allstar

That is typical tech support. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you know this card is not a real X-fi. All the same features.....AFAIK, it does not contain EAX 5.0 -could be wrong.
I know for sure it doesn;t contain hardware support of EAX or OpenAL

Last edited by Robscix; October 11, 2007 at 08:25 AM.