Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
The Xonars are very nice sounding cards. Enjoy.

I will be busting out the soldering iron soon

Edit: Hey Robscix, do you think the Xonar would benifit from a blackgate powercap? And do you know which opamp locations are what? I have a dead X-Fi with LM4562's on it and one brand new LM4562. I removed the shroud from the Xonar and noticed a ton of opamps and would like to avoid changing them all. I have some photos of the PCB if you need them. If you do know just PM me and I will send you the photo's and you can circle them out. Basically just need the Center/Sub and Rear opamps.

Some of the locations are going to be hell to change but I am game.

Last edited by turtletrax; January 12, 2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old January 12, 2008, 11:28 AM
Allstar

Usually just follow the traces on the board. Find the center/sub jack and follow the copper traces back to the amp. If you can see the traces. As for the Power cap, I heard they give limited sonic benefits...You still have other caps to contend with in the path. You can try.....
Old February 26, 2008, 05:44 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
You have great taste in soundcards. Either of these card are kickin' audio products but they are meant for very different tasks. The Auzentech Prelude is more of a gamer card and supports gaming features such as high levels of EAX and openAL. The Xonar is meant more as a HTPC card and lacks the gaming features. The weak part of the Xonar is the 45XX series opamps on every channel except the fronts which sport a LM4562 amp. This card doesn't lend well to being modded the opamps are hard wired to the board.
You could swap out the 45XX series for better opamps such as LM4562's -if you go with the Xonar that is... Either card sound amazing without any modding needed. COnsidering both are worth $200, make sure your handy with a soldering iron as $200 is a bit much to pay for a paperweight.
If you have any mopre questions, feel free to ask. Good Luck with your purchase.
So out of these two cards, which one is good for a music listener.
Thanks
Old February 26, 2008, 07:49 AM
Allstar

..Either card is great for music.