Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 22, 2007, 02:57 AM
Rookie

Hi

Thank you for your reply Robscix, I think I will go with the Xanar card because it's almost half price of the prelude where I live (Denmark). I will only change the OPams if I find the sound lacking.

BTW

A MERRY X-MAS TO EVERY BODY READING THIS

Best Regards

Chewie
Old December 22, 2007, 09:30 AM
Allstar

Same to you. I doubt you will find the Xonar to have Lacking sound....it is a very nice sounding card.
Old December 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Xonar > X-FI Prelude by a large margian, especially under Vista 64. X-FI drivers work terrible in Vista and the Xonar works perfectly and definitely out performas it and sound light years better.
Old December 31, 2007, 02:48 PM
Allstar

I enjoyed the Xonar when I reviewed it. I don't have any issues with Vista on the Prelude..but I only use 32bit. It has nice sound quality though. Have you tried out the GX drivers yet? What did you think about the review?

Last edited by Robscix; December 31, 2007 at 02:59 PM.
Old December 31, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

As usual, your review was over and beyond what I would expect, great job. I am just utterly disappointed with the driver performance and sound quality of the X-FI. the Xonar woke up my sound. I do have a feeling I am predisposed to liking the C-Media based cards over the Creative based cards. I am not sure exactly what it is, but the Xonar is just so much clearer. I would have to say this is the besy sounding card I have ever owned. I should have bought the X-Meridian many many months ago as well, lol!!! For now, the X-FI is in the box until I am ready to deal with it again.
Old December 31, 2007, 04:59 PM
Allstar

The Xonar has a different "tube" type of sound from the Burrbrown DAC. Those are usually found in the high end Denon gear. Some people like certain types of sound signatures. Only thing about the Xonar is you don't have the higher level of EAX. Enjoy.
Old December 31, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I can believe that. Honestly, I don't think the X-FI ever had a chance with my ears. It just never delivered the sound I prefer and was mostly a big letdown. I am not enough of a gamer to care about EAX as well so that was another major benefit of the X-FI that was wasted on me.
Old December 31, 2007, 08:33 PM
Allstar

Well glad you found a card that was a better match for you then. You would have liked the X-Meridian's they are sweet cards and still worth alot of money. Enjoy.
Old January 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Just picked up my D2X and it is amazing.

I am finally free of creative drivers. The last 2 weeks have been shear hell. It seems that my X-Fi (hotrodded) hated 2x2GB Promos PC2-8000 and would randomly drop out of driver sight and I would have to mess around with removing ram and rebooting uninstalling/installing, and another card that I modded for a friend randomly cooked itself for no reason. I checked all opamps and caps to see if any were damaged, but they were all fine.

I just ran out of patience with it all. So I thought I would kill two birds with one stone. I got rid of PCI and Creative on my new HTPC build. I now have a P5K Premo/Q6600/4GB D9/NV Dual TV MCE/Xonar D2X/1TB/SS Crown HTPC and couldnt be happier with the quality so far. Will be swaping to the E8400/E8500 on release and should help with the heat/power bill as it is a 24/7 rig.

First impressions of the D2X are it definately positive for those on Vista X64. Will have more input as I go along with movies and gaming.

More to come!!

Edit: I should also point out that the Xonar D2X does not fit in the 1x PCI-E slots on the P5K Premo as the DIMM slots interfere. So you have to put it in the second 16x slot (4x electrical). I find the layout of the P5K premium very hard to deal with as nothing really uses 1X PCI-E interface and there are two of them at the uppermost slots of the mobo. You then have your 16x slot for VGA, and if it is double slot then it renders the first PCI slot beneith it useless. Then if you have two PCI cards the card closest to the VGA is about 2-3mm away from the VGA cooler. If you are using a 8800 G80 card that means you are blocking the exhaust slots on the cooler.You would most likely bake your VGA card or whatever PCI card is closest to it. That leaves you with one usefull PCI slot and two PCI-E 1x slots that cant fit an audio adaptor. Saving grace is very few people use the second 16x slot for Crossfire on P35.

Last edited by turtletrax; January 10, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old January 11, 2008, 09:52 AM
Allstar

The Xonars are very nice sounding cards. Enjoy.