Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 08:42 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default Auzentech OPAMP upgrade

Can someone explain the benefits of doing this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 11:20 AM
Robscix's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 762
Default

OK, when the original X-Meridians were shipped, the company figured alot of people would use the card for digital considering it's features. With this in mind they used generic S4580 opamps and put them in replaceable sockets in case anybody wanted to change them. This was about the time the LM4562 was released. I started using that Opamp long ago and so did alot of other guys in quite a few fourms. The whole idea caught on very well and some guys even started modding their X-Music's to get better sound quality out of the card using LM4562's.

The new Prelude has a replaceable opamp for the front channel but Auzen put a great quality opamp in there. You can change it but make sure it is a better quality unit then the LM4562...

The original opamps in the X-Meridian were "OK" but they had high frequency smearing and loss of low bass definition as well as other sonic deficiencies. When replaced with LM4562's the card sounds amazing. Older Auzen cards are also equipped with opamp sockets.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 11:26 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
OK, when the original X-Meridians were shipped, the company figured alot of people would use the card for digital considering it's features. With this in mind they used generic S4580 opamps and put them in replaceable sockets in case anybody wanted to change them. This was about the time the LM4562 was released. I started using that Opamp long ago and so did alot of other guys in quite a few fourms. The whole idea caught on very well and some guys even started modding their X-Music's to get better sound quality out of the card using LM4562's.

The new Prelude has a replaceable opamp for the front channel but Auzen put a great quality opamp in there. You can change it but make sure it is a better quality unit then the LM4562...

The original opamps in the X-Meridian were "OK" but they had high frequency smearing and loss of low bass definition as well as other sonic deficiencies. When replaced with LM4562's the card sounds amazing. Older Auzen cards are also equipped with opamp sockets.

Hope that helps.
Yah I picked up an xplosion with the opamp option and using analog and notice a really lack of low bass definition for sure.

If I was to upgrade my opamps what would you suggest are the best sounding?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 11:31 AM
Robscix's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 762
Default

You can go with the LM4562's if you want or if you really like bass try the OPA2227. Make sure you get the Chip in 8 pin DIP format. I would suggest the LM4562's though.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 11:31 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
You can go with the LM4562's if you want or if you really like bass try the OPA2227. Make sure you get the Chip in 8 pin DIP format. Where are you located?
West coast, Vancouver :D

I'm assuming you can use different OPAMPS for the different channels? Like a heavier bass one for the sub channel and a less bassy one for the non sub channel?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 11:38 AM
Robscix's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 762
Default

You can. Auzen did this very thing on the Prelude. Used a LM4562 for the front channels and OPA2134s for the rest. Besides it's fun to experiment you get good at noticing fine details about your sound signature. Opamps are usually very cheap unless you go with very,very high grade and usually you won't notice a big improvement anyway. Not to justify such a large cost.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 11:44 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
You can. Auzen did this very thing on the Prelude. Used a LM4562 for the front channels and OPA2134s for the rest. Besides it's fun to experiment you get good at noticing fine details about your sound signature. Opamps are usually very cheap unless you go with very,very high grade and usually you won't notice a big improvement anyway. Not to justify such a large cost.
Then I know what I'm doing next! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 01:00 PM
Robscix's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 762
Default

Have fun....
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 02:37 PM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,592
Default

Is this what I'd need?

1 x OPA2134PA-ND IC DUAL AUDIO OPAMP 8-DIP
5 x LM4562NA-ND IC OPAMP AUDIO DUAL HF 8-DIP
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old October 3, 2007, 03:26 PM
Robscix's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 762
Default

Why are you going with the OPA2134? -Your choice but your LM4562's would provide a bit more clarity. Unless your card has a replaceable opamp on the input circuit also? I suggest the OPA2227 for the bass channel.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus Xonar D2X vs Auzentech Prelude X-Fi Drago Audio 17 April 6, 2008 09:43 AM
AuzenTech Xplosion or HT Omega Striker BALISTX Audio 6 January 8, 2008 09:22 AM
Auzentech Prelude Dolby Drivers! Robscix Audio 14 December 31, 2007 03:54 PM
Auzentech X-Fi Prelude richuwo11 Audio 10 September 29, 2007 07:30 PM