Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2009, 09:55 PM
Rookie

Default Need advice for new soundcard please!

Hello, everyone! I need some advice on purchasing a new sound card and would appreciate any help. I recently ordered a brand new Dell and was dumb enough to get the Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio card. Just like the reviews say it's a piece of crap that crackles and pops and I can't get it to record. I don't need anything super fancy. My old computer had a Soundblaster Audigy 2 that I recorded into that sounded and worked better than this X-Fi card. I play games, listen to MP3s and record guitar into a studio program. I don't need multiple inputs, just the analog line input is sufficient. I just want something that sounds decent, is stable for recording and games, and just works. So far I've been looking at the Omega Striker and it seems to have great customer reviews. Is it worth to pay twice as much for the next Omega Claro? Any other cards you would recommend? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)
Old December 29, 2009, 10:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I have a few questions for you to help narrow it down. First one is what hardware do you use to record your guitar from to the pc. Does it only have analog ouput (to the pc input) or does it have digital (spdif/optical) as well? The second question is what are you using (speakers) to listen to your games and mp3s. This will help potentially steer you in a better direction since the more we know the more we can find the best valued one for you
Old December 29, 2009, 10:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Auzentech Prelude is the solution. That's the best consumer level card for analog in / out. The newer Forte is a let-down compared to the "old" Prelude. You can still find this card at NCIX I believe. I have 2 Preludes at home and 1 unopened as a backup on my bookshelf.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old December 30, 2009, 07:28 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I have a few questions for you to help narrow it down. First one is what hardware do you use to record your guitar from to the pc. Does it only have analog ouput (to the pc input) or does it have digital (spdif/optical) as well? The second question is what are you using (speakers) to listen to your games and mp3s. This will help potentially steer you in a better direction since the more we know the more we can find the best valued one for you
I use my guitar or mic into a preamp and then into the line in of the soundcard. To be honest I wasn't even sure what the optical/spdif was for. Is that to plug in things like MP3 players or? The speakers I'm using are a lower end set of 5.1 Altec Lansing that were maybe $100 five years ago or so. They work well enough for me though I will probably upgrade at some point. My main focus is getting my sound up and adequately running at the moment. This Creative just isn't doing it for me. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old December 30, 2009, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
Auzentech Prelude is the solution. That's the best consumer level card for analog in / out. The newer Forte is a let-down compared to the "old" Prelude. You can still find this card at NCIX I believe. I have 2 Preludes at home and 1 unopened as a backup on my bookshelf.
Going to have to agree... I've upgrade from an X-Fi Xtreme gamer to a prelude and I'm very impressed..

It has mic in, line in (analog) and also SPDIF in. It will do what you want to do, and it will work! Sounds fantastic as well.

I got mine on sale @ NCIX for $130.
Old December 30, 2009, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Alright, thanks for the help guys. I'm going to go ahead and order a Prelude. Hopefully it gets here by the weekend and I'll let you know how it works out for me. Wish me luck!
Old December 30, 2009, 08:21 PM
Allstar

xonar essence st (not stx) is currently the best consumer level card.