Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 23, 2007, 06:45 PM
Rookie

Default Asus DVD RW SATA

Hi all

This is my first post on the forum. Can anybody help me with this problem. This is the first pc I have built with sata drives. I bought an Asus DVD player that was Sata not IDE this time thinking it would be better for buring and data transfer. Yesterday I put in a DVD but for some reason there was no sound. I thought that I forgot to hook the cable to the mother board from the DVD player like I used to on my old IDE drive. This one has no connector on the back? When I start my pc my speakers give me the usual windows start up sound etc. But when I try to listen to a dvd I get now sound just the movie. My motherboard is a ASUS P5B - using the SoundMax drivers that came with the board. If I need to provide more info for the solution just tell me...Or if I missed this solution on another post send me the link
Thanks,
RED
Old September 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline65 View Post
Hi all

This is my first post on the forum. Can anybody help me with this problem. This is the first pc I have built with sata drives. I bought an Asus DVD player that was Sata not IDE this time thinking it would be better for buring and data transfer. Yesterday I put in a DVD but for some reason there was no sound. I thought that I forgot to hook the cable to the mother board from the DVD player like I used to on my old IDE drive. This one has no connector on the back? When I start my pc my speakers give me the usual windows start up sound etc. But when I try to listen to a dvd I get now sound just the movie. My motherboard is a ASUS P5B - using the SoundMax drivers that came with the board. If I need to provide more info for the solution just tell me...Or if I missed this solution on another post send me the link
Thanks,
RED
First off that cable is 100% useless unless your run Windows ME or less.

The reason why you aren't getting audio in your movies for is improper codecs installed.
Old September 23, 2007, 08:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try installing PowerDVD or InterVideo WinDVD. You could also just grab a codec pack of the sorts. There's many of those around.
Old September 23, 2007, 09:05 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Try installing PowerDVD or InterVideo WinDVD. You could also just grab a codec pack of the sorts. There's many of those around.
Is the DivX player the same as these? Also shouldn't windows media player 10 give me sound as well.???
Old September 23, 2007, 09:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Is the DivX player the same as these? Also shouldn't windows media player 10 give me sound as well.???
Yep, it should.

Can you play an audio CD through it? If not, then it's still some form of software issue unrelated to the type of optical drive. (Assuming of course that you can copy files to and from the DVD R/W).

All optical drive sound has been done through software for quite some time now. The last CD I remember running that used the audio cable was a kids' multimedia program and that was over 10 years ago.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 23, 2007, 09:52 PM
Rookie

Can you play an audio CD through it? If not, then it's still some form of software issue unrelated to the type of optical drive. (Assuming of course that you can copy files to and from the DVD R/W).

Yes - Just to reconfirm, I tried a CD that I made with my last pc, then tried an audio CD and both work great. I have also have made a ghost image of my new pc after loading all my software and updates to my pc. Which I have also tested my ghost image and works perfectly. Thank goodness...
Old September 30, 2007, 12:17 PM
Rookie

Looks like the problem is now solved. I no longer use the windows media player or the Divx player. Looking a little deeper in the posts from other forums, I have downloaded VLC - Media player. Which is seen enaberif posted before.

Thanks for the help...
Old October 2, 2007, 05:51 PM
Allstar

Try out KM Player. Great for video, DVD and TV/ Tons of config options to tune everything the way you want. Great player.
Old October 3, 2007, 01:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Try out KM Player. Great for video, DVD and TV/ Tons of config options to tune everything the way you want. Great player.
Looking at the sreenshots of KM Player it looks to be an all in one package. Will give it a try.

Thanks,
Old October 3, 2007, 05:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Anything out of norm in regards to codecs will not play due to "legal" issues.

VLC somehow passes around this and .avi movies require two codecs; one for audio and one for video. You can have the video one installed but not the audio hence no sound.

If you ever download a file that doesn't work properly check out a program called Gspot and it will tell you if a codec is missing.