Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2009, 07:43 PM
Rookie

Removed.

Last edited by jeremyofmany; July 26, 2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old December 6, 2009, 08:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I use a pair of PC350 with an Asus Xonar Essence STX, pure joy

Great for music.

Mic is great for games.

You can't hear any surrounding sounds when you have them on ( well it might depends whats surrounding you ^^)

Best gamer headphones you can get imo!
Old December 6, 2009, 08:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you do go for those, they go on sale frequently for $150 at FS/BB and a few other places.
Old December 6, 2009, 09:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

on sale now at futureshop, i dont have these but the 555's i have are great.
Future Shop: Computer Add-Ons: Gaming Gear & Computer Upgrades: SennheiserPC350 Gaming Headset

Old December 6, 2009, 09:18 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I personally like the HD555 or the HD595's. The only thing I don't like about these is the ten foot cord. They should have made the cord shorter and gave you an extension. Personally I love the 595's for music but they are pricey.
Old December 6, 2009, 11:32 PM
Rookie

I've had a set of Sennheiser HD-580s for years. They're the most comfortable cans I've ever used, and they sound orders of magnitude better than any of the cheaper headphones I've heard.

(I've heard 600/650's as well, and to my ears they were even better.)

We had a bunch of different Sennheiser's at work over the years but they don't even come close, some were even outright shitty (e.g. 49x series).

Some people think the 580/600/650 look a bit weird (my wife calls them my "Princess Leia headphones") but comfort and sound trump fashion IMO.

I originally got mine used on eBay, so they have seen a lot of use; the left cable connector sometimes cuts out unless I jiggle it a bit. Aside from that they're still going strong. Brand new they're very expensive cans, but let me put it this way: if my 580's ever go, I will replace them immediately with a set of 600s or 650s, whatever the cost.

The HD-580s were one of the best things I ever purchased for my PC.
Old December 7, 2009, 01:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

The PC350's are great gaming headphones, but I don't think I'd say that they're +$200-good. $150 or less, sure. Very good isolation from the rest of the world, comfortable, and the mic is one of the better one's that I've used. They also don't need a full-blown amplifier to perform at their best, so that sound card should be just fine. The sound character is a little more aggressive and forward than other Senn's that I've tried, but still pretty middle-of the road compared to some others. They're a little weak in the bass department, which isn't an issue for games, but some music can suffer a little for it. There's a bass-mod you can do if you don't mind drilling a couple holes in the headphones, but that's another story altogether.
Old December 7, 2009, 05:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

Remember, there are other brands of headphones out there, so keep your eyes out. A good pair of stereo headphones + clip on mic could quite possibly give you the sound (aggressive, airy, bassy etc.) your looking for at a cheaper price.

Quote:
the left cable connector sometimes cuts out unless I jiggle it a bit
It's probably a loose wire, if your feeling daring you could completely re-wire them.

Old December 7, 2009, 12:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
It's probably a loose wire, if your feeling daring you could completely re-wire them.
Nope, it's the connector. If I swap the L and R wires, the jiggliness doesn't follow the wires, it stays on the left side.

It's a common problem with the HD580s. I can usually get it to go away just by unplugging the left wire and plugging it back in, then wiggling it a bit until it works. I've had it remain working for weeks at a time, and then have bouts of fussiness, but overall it isn't too annoying yet. If it becomes too annoying it's possible to bypass the connector by soldering the wires directly.

* I had actual wire short on the right side last summer, but I bought replacement cables from Sennheiser in Montreal. I actually got HD650 cables, which are tougher and yet somehow less expensive.
Old December 17, 2009, 08:18 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyofmany View Post
I just got my Sennheiser PC350's. I notice they only have a stereo headset jack and a mic jack, so that means they are not truly surround sound, but emulated/simulated.
For true surround sound, do you guys think I would be better to go with these headphones?

NCIX.com - Buy Logitech G35 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset 20-20000KHZ 32OHM Unidirectional Mic Macro Keys - 981-000116 In Canada.
True surround headphones are 99.9% garbage. A good set of real headphones will give you better sound quality and just as good positioning compared to a "real" 5.1 headset.