Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2010, 10:58 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I too was sceptical but after using them for some time now,and comparing them to other high end 5.1 cans
There are no high-end 5.1 cans; at least none that compare favourably to high-end headphones. The only way to judge the quality of one of these headsets is to compare them to a quality pair of real headphones. Unless you do that, you really can't compare these to truly good audio hardware.
Old January 28, 2010, 02:34 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The problem with these threads is that they're so subjective. First off, there are audiophiles and casual listeners, who are very common and still may be huge music/gaming fans.

For instance, let's say you're like me, and although you appreciate sound quality you don't have the money for it. You listen through ipod ear buds or something of similar quality. You don't have anything special in your vehicle because it's too expensive. Maybe you have at max mid end speakers and sat. radio or ipod hooked up (I have stock speakers in a van lol).

Then, you try on a pair of 5.1 headphones. They happen to be suited to your tastes and they sound better than anything you've heard all day. You compare them to other 5.1 headphones, but maybe the others aren't your type, or you've fallen in love with your first pair. Either way, you'll be happy with a 5.1 headset and swear by it.

If you're an audiophile or happen upon high end headphones with analog jacks, etc. you'll notice the difference in technology from these high end headphones to the "quality for the masses" 5.1 headphones.

What I'm saying is, figure out who you are and go with it. It's very likely a decent pair of headphones that fit right will be more than enough for you, and you can save some money. Also remember that with a more high end set of headphones, comes the need for a proper sound card with enough power to really put those cans where they need to be.

I went with the PC350's and I'm also looking for a sound card to match. For my needs (recording/mixing on a budget) the PC350 with a decent sound card is worth what I'll get back from it, and can be used for gaming and movies was well.

Edited to add: $300 US?!??! Sorry, I thought the psyko's were at the same price range as g35's and what not. No wonder people rip them apart when they're brought up. They're pricing in a technology that isn't proven to work.

Last edited by Lyle Chipperson; January 28, 2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:02 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Believe me, I have compared the Psykos to various and VERY good stereo cans both analog and USB. Yes the $300 seems a little high but price is relative.As far as a proven technology,I think,has now been done.I am not a sound engineer nor am I any kind of audiophile.I just want the best gaming experience I can get and for a true surround the Psykos work. I don't know how they work and I don't really understand the tech jargon I read on thier site but I can tell you they do work as advertised.I wish someone else has tried them and could echo what I have been saying.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 9, 2010, 02:09 AM
Rookie

I really like my senn hd 280 for music on my pc, logitech g35 for gaming and akg k701 for music on my receiver.
Old February 9, 2010, 03:47 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
There are no high-end 5.1 cans; at least none that compare favourably to high-end headphones. The only way to judge the quality of one of these headsets is to compare them to a quality pair of real headphones. Unless you do that, you really can't compare these to truly good audio hardware.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=37995&...e=Beyerdynamic

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=37994&...e=Beyerdynamic

(not that these are in a mere mortal's price range- I've seen others costing over 10K

But seriously- I have a set of Sennheiser prestige 595 and a set of these:
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...=ZALMAN%20TECH

They are super cheap, but they actually work, and I will still often switch back to them when playing FPS games because they have good positioning. They're certaily not for the audiophile, but the build quality is surprisingly good, and they work well for positioning.
Old February 9, 2010, 06:24 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Wow. I just tried a set of PC350's last night and regret it horribly. Audio quality is okay, lots of clear highs, but other than that these are totally not worth it. Seems to have a strange tone to it too, somewhat tin-like? so strange... They're going back to the store today.
Old February 9, 2010, 03:21 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrbarossa View Post
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=37995&...e=Beyerdynamic

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=37994&...e=Beyerdynamic

(not that these are in a mere mortal's price range- I've seen others costing over 10K
Hmm, I had never heard of those. Interesting (although hardly practical for most people).
Old February 9, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My recent discovery:

Shure SRH440s and 840s. Fantastic headphones..and even more fantastic price

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old February 9, 2010, 09:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackquelegs View Post
My recent discovery:

Shure SRH440s and 840s. Fantastic headphones..and even more fantastic price
This man speaks the truth! Probably the best price/quality ratio out there under 100$
Old February 9, 2010, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

+1 for the Shures, Just got my SRH440s burned in and I am simply in love with them, sound amazing with no amp and Iphone as source. Very good value.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.