Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2009, 06:21 AM
Rookie

Default Windows 7 sound issue

Hi, I just built a new computer system and installed windows 7 64bit professional. The motherboard is a Gigabyte P55-UD4P and comes onboard sound. It uses the Realtek ALC889A codec and has support for High Definition Audio, 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel, Support for Dolby® Home Theater, Support for S/PDIF In/Out and Support for CD In.

After plugging in the three audio cables that come out my sub woofer, corresponding to rear, side and front/sub, I realized that I cannot get any sound to work in windows except in the Realtek HD manager and control panel. When I run the sound test from the manager or from the control panel I do get sound and all my speakers/sub works. However, I do not get any sound elsewhere. Please help! Thanks.

Also, I've tried uninstalling the previous realtek audio drivers via control panel and installing the newest ones from the gigabyte website for my motherboard and that still doesn't work:

Realtek Function driver for Realtek Azalia audio chip (Including Microsoft UAA Driver in English edition)
version: 5.10.0.5973
Old December 2, 2009, 06:32 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I know windows (7 and Vista) are suppose to auto-detect and set whatever audio you have plugged into it as the default, but perhaps you do not have your speakers (analog) as your audio output and you may be (for some reason) stuck on some other audio output setting for all of your devices. I recommend right clicking on your little volume icon on the taskbar, going to playback devices and making sure you have the correct output.
Old December 2, 2009, 04:51 PM
Rookie

Thanks.

I figured out the issue. I had to goto speaker properties and enable Dolby Prologic IIx.