Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2009, 11:55 AM
Rookie

Removed.

Last edited by jeremyofmany; July 26, 2013 at 08:08 AM.
Old December 1, 2009, 12:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

EAX doesn't exactly work in Windows 7, and I don't think too many games are bothering implementing it anymore.

I run an ASUS Xonar DX which does the trick and sounds great. Has an optical output so you could easily hook it up to a home theatre system.
Old December 1, 2009, 06:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You just set it to 5.1 output in the control panel software that comes with it.

From that picture, from left-to-right:
Pink | Green | Black | Orange | Empty
However I think the labeling on the card is wrong. As I have my 5.1 speakers plugged in like above, minus the pink since I don't have a microphone. And they work properly with the correct channels coming out of the speakers. By that picture it would be Pink | Green | Empty | Orange | Black.

Pink might go in the Empty one, not sure. Though by the labeling, it should be the first one. This however takes up the Optical output since it's a multi-jack.

And should your PC not have PCI-Express, then you'll want the Xonar DS or D1 as those are PCI.
Old December 1, 2009, 08:50 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
EAX doesn't exactly work in Windows 7, and I don't think too many games are bothering implementing it anymore.

I run an ASUS Xonar DX which does the trick and sounds great. Has an optical output so you could easily hook it up to a home theatre system.
Yes it does. OpenAL fully supports it and hardware acceleration. Only older games you need to install Alchemy but it still works.

What are you using for speakers? Just 5.1 headphones?
Old December 1, 2009, 09:19 PM
HaDeS

I bought an auzentech card for the eax 5.0. And yes it does work in win7 just fine. Asus for music/media. Auzentech games/music/media.
Old December 2, 2009, 07:52 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Mmm DFI NF4.. A blast from the past. My router runs a DFI NF4 Ultra.

I'd probably go Asus if I were you.
Old December 2, 2009, 08:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Yes it does. OpenAL fully supports it and hardware acceleration. Only older games you need to install Alchemy but it still works.
Well whatever. Can't say I miss EAX. Games still sound fine so I don't know if I'm missing out on anything and I came from a X-Fi.

And I suppose the ASUS cards have some EAX support anyhow using GX2.0/2.5. Though I haven't seen the EAX logo in any games I've played recently. Only one I can recall is BF2142.
Old December 2, 2009, 02:26 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Id go for asus. Creative with win 7 has been crap at best so far for me. I bought my xfi titanium because of DTS and dolby digital support for my receiver which doesnt work at all with creatives software or drivers.
Old December 3, 2009, 06:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX.com - Buy ASUS Xonar DS 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card 24BIT DTS SPDIF W/ Low Profile Bracket - Xonar DS In Canada.

There you go. Should do everything you want, only $55, and has Windows 7 drivers.