Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 3, 2009, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You can't just look at a sound cards spec sheets, there's a fair bit more than that.
Old December 3, 2009, 08:01 PM
HaDeS

Quote:
The question is, does it work with Windows 7 x86, x64 or both?
It is interesting that you recommend Asus for music/media and Auzentech for those plus games.
The review on the ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 shows that it works good for gaming.
I suppose that is based on personal experience?
I played around with both all-be-it I didn't try the asus on win7. Currently I am using the prelude 7.1 extreme on win7 and it is rock solid sounds fine. Keep in mind that even though it is an xfi chip the drivers are not provided by creative. For me this is important as I will never spend money on creative cards so help me god.

When i played around with the asus card it was great for media but was HORRIBLE in games. I had to play a game like bf2 in software mode due to the horrible problems I was having. Also vegas 2 rainbow six has amazing eax5.0 which will not work with asus cards. In fact the game crashed several times with "their" version of eax. I used the asus in XPpro32bit if a card can't run for shit in a 32 bit environment it won't be any better in 64bit.

The auzentech has been the best all round card for me and I'll always recommend it. Jake_HT just bought one and loves it. I am a bit of an audiophile even though admittedly I don't know every last thing about audio I can absolutely attest to the difference in quality. If i could afford 1000 dollar headphones... i would buy them tomorrow. Besides the auzentech has dual opticals.
Old December 4, 2009, 01:24 PM
HaDeS

I was thinking about this today... if other people here are saying the asus is good for win7 and you are interested in trying it out by all means. Please don't take my post as the the word of god especially when it comes to win7. New operating systems respond differently with different hardware configs.
Old December 5, 2009, 05:15 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Auzentech Forte for me on Windows 7 64 Bit, works fantastic.

Another Guy From Canada
Old December 5, 2009, 11:12 AM
HaDeS

dude... don't read the reviews of that card goto the ASUS forum on that card and read all the pissed off posts. That's what made my decision... asus doesn't quickly release any fixes for anything ever imo. All the reviews I read on the asus card were perfect the GX (openAL) failed for me in multiple games.

The people on their forums were chomping at the bit for a new driver fix and reviews don't mean a thing if thousands of actual users are complaining about the same hardware.

As for the pci-e sound card I would totally do that... especially with all the layouts i've seen coming down the pipe.

Last edited by HaDeS; December 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old December 6, 2009, 05:33 PM
HaDeS

You won't be disappointed Jeremy. pci-e is a great choice due in part that you can use it in ANY pci-e slot there-by giving you a ton of options for motherboards/layouts down the road. I tend to sit on sound cards and monitors the longest of all the other parts in my box. If i turns out you don't like it well I'm sorry for the recommendation; however, nobody else has complained about it yet.
Old December 9, 2009, 10:19 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
dude... don't read the reviews of that card goto the ASUS forum on that card and read all the pissed off posts. That's what made my decision... asus doesn't quickly release any fixes for anything ever imo. All the reviews I read on the asus card were perfect the GX (openAL) failed for me in multiple games.

The people on their forums were chomping at the bit for a new driver fix and reviews don't mean a thing if thousands of actual users are complaining about the same hardware.

As for the pci-e sound card I would totally do that... especially with all the layouts i've seen coming down the pipe.
I purchased the dx card as well and sent it right back. The only possible solution found on thier forum was for me to pretty well re-configure my competor . No way just to try getting a sound card to work. I'm waiting for Auzentech to provide something new.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old December 16, 2009, 12:36 PM
Allstar

Xonar Essence STX is currently the best consumer level sound card for music and movies, It only supports EAX 2.0 but Asus says it can simulate 5.0.
Old January 21, 2010, 06:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

My Sennheiser PC-350's smoke my Razer Barracuda headphones with regard to overall sound quality and in particular the Microphone (used in LOTRO, COD etc..), although I like Razer quality with regard to Mice the headphones are no match for the Sennheiser's. The headphone Amp in the Auzentech Forte works beatifully when paired with the Sennheiser's. As a note the PC-350's are actually considered a good all around set i.e. Games/Music etc... with better Sennheiser models for music however IMHO I find the 350's great for both good luck :)

Another Guy From Canada
Old March 5, 2010, 02:19 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Can't agree more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
You can't just look at a sound cards spec sheets, there's a fair bit more than that.