Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2009, 11:04 AM
Top Prospect

Default Logitch X-540 5.1 - Pointless for music?

I was just (thinking about) cleaning my desk and I've been deciding about unhooking the rear speakers of my Logitech X-540 5.1 setup. I rarley watch movies on my computer and when I do I lay in my bed where the rear speakers are not behind me. I listen to a ton of music, there's always music coming from my speakers but the music does not come out of the rear speakers, only the front 3 +sub.

Is there a point in leaving the rear speakers hooked up? Should I be using "Matrix" mode to get the most out of them?

Sort of a weird question but I don't want to go into the trouble of removing them if I'll be missing out on something.
Old November 28, 2009, 03:51 PM
Allstar

mmmm no. 5.1 isnt really great for music. Get a pair of swan m10's good price and good sound!
Old November 29, 2009, 05:53 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the matrix mode "should" make the sound come out of the rear speakers.
Audio is a very personal thing, what one guy might think sounds great and loves, another person might not for any number of reasons.
My son has those same speakers and uses them for hooking up not just his computer, but his mp3 player as well, for the price they work great...if the sound quality isn't up to par for you, well its probably due to them being the cheapest set logitech makes (5.1 that is) and I don't think made to be record breaking.
Old November 29, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using these speakers for quite some time and I have no problems. If there is no music coming from your rear speakers, either the speakers are toast or your sound device is not configured properly. They're paired up with my auzen xplosion and I find the sound is great for the $50 I paid for them.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old November 29, 2009, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a 4.1 speaker setup and all my speakers are in front or by the side of me, nothing at the rear.

I assume you're using Windows Vista or 7, since you don't get sound out of your back speakers.

Windows 7 Sound Mainly from Main Speakers. Surround is dead
Old November 30, 2009, 03:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

i think these are the ones i have on my computer and they are fine for what i use them for. (i game mostly on my ps3 so i don't use them for gaming) For me the most handy feature is having a mic jack and mic mute button on the controller.
Old December 1, 2009, 04:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

most music are encoded in 2 channels, so if your primary concern is music, then this set of speakers is not great, unless you use it for gaming too
Old December 22, 2009, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

x-540 is designed for low budget gaming speakers. Hence, the sound quality for music is very poor.
Old December 28, 2009, 08:18 AM
Rookie

you should always have the matrix mode on when listening to music, makes it sound MUCH better. only turn it off when gaming or watching a movie