Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 16, 2007, 04:16 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Don't crank them right away. Let them "burn-In" for a few days to a week. The sound will change as the speaker cores break-in...The sound will become warmer and the highs will become a bit more clear. The sound will just get better. Enjoy.
It's true they are heavy. Just to bring them downstairs I had to do it with my mother lol. But what you mean exactly with the "burn-in"? I saw a few people saying this but it's still unclear to me. I know that the thermal compound like Artic Silver 5 will reach 100% of it's potential after X houres but what about the speakers and how do we do it? You also gave a notice and said not to crank them right away, why and also what would happen if we do it? Cranking means to set the volume to at least 50%?

Something really strange I noticed with my Soundblaster X-Fi and Z-5500 is that I get static noise from time to time but ONLY when I listen to music and it's not all kind of music that do it. "Techno" sound never do it. It's just some metal/guitar music and it doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the mp3. It also never happened when I had the X-Fi on my Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 speakers. I tryed everything possible in the settings of Vista and my X-Fi, I even checked my speaker's connection more than 10 time. I was almost getting paranoid because everything was set perfectly and then... I noticed that the only setting in the X-Fi that would affect the static noise I'm talking about is the CMSS-3D.

While being in Stereo 2x on the Z-5500 decoder, if I wouldn't use CMSS-3D, I would often get the static noise but if I would use it, depending on if I use surround or expension-stereo and the % I set it, I could get almost no static at all, both in the front and the rear or just in the rear speakers. I also don't know if it has something to do with the "burn-in" you were talking about but now it seems to happen less and less. I have the speakers since 2 weeks and since 2 days I'm using the preset below in red for my music.

- My custom equalizer preset:
0 2.9 1.5 0 -1.2 -1.0 0 2.0 2.9 2.0

Stereo x2: 6-Channels Direct:
Treble: 50% Treble: 60%
Bass: 50% Bass: 35%
CMSS-3D: None CMSS-3D: Surround Stereo 50%
Crystalizer: 50% Crystalizer: 50%
* "Level" on the decoder set to everything in the middle, unless for volume of course lol.

Edit: Oh, not to forget that when I go in the "Console THX", no matter how I set my cross-over, it does nothing at all. Perhaps the one from the decoder/Z-5500 is overriding the software value. 0_o

Last edited by PanzerIV; November 16, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old November 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
Rookie

Can't answer any of your questions but Ive got some of my own :P. My first important question is the Xi-Fi CmSS-3d mode I have it set on stereo surround and at 50% (between Front and surround). Now there is a surround option on my z5500's what should I put this at since I want to use the cards options to set this.

My last question is when does the patch come out for all the prelude goodies?
Old November 16, 2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mconline View Post
Can't answer any of your questions but Ive got some of my own :P. My first important question is the Xi-Fi CmSS-3d mode I have it set on stereo surround and at 50% (between Front and surround). Now there is a surround option on my z5500's what should I put this at since I want to use the cards options to set this.

My last question is when does the patch come out for all the prelude goodies?
From my personnal experience and those from my friend with the same X-Fi who bought the Z-5500 1 week after me, if you are using the CMSS-3D in Surround-Stereo 50%, then you are better to keep the decoder effect at (6 Ch Direct). Else the second best settings I found was to set the decoder on (Stereo x2) and disable the CMSS-3D. However you'll notice that there is much less Bass when you are on Stereo x2 instead of 6-Channel Direct so this is why I have above in my big post, the value in red and blue. Try those while using my customized equalizer, I'm sure you'll love it.

As for the Prelude's patch, I think it's Q1 2008.
Old November 16, 2007, 07:20 PM
Allstar

The driver should be released soon. Some people are testing the Dolby driver right now. As for the settings questions, I don't own those speakers so you will just have to experiment and figure out what sounds the best to you.
Old November 16, 2007, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
As for the settings questions, I don't own those speakers so you will just have to experiment and figure out what sounds the best to you.
I know, but that would had still been very useful to me to get an answer about the "burn-in" questions.

As for the "static noise", all I hope is that it will be gone when I exchange my X-Fi for a Prelude in a few weeks.
Old November 17, 2007, 10:39 AM
Allstar

Burn-in is a common procedure to do for both headphones or speakers. IT allows the speaker colis to adjust and the whole driver to loosen up and "burn-in" for a while before high volume is applied. Actually, I would never want to crank a brand new system without burning in the speaker you would more then likley blow the drivers. It is nothing secret or hard to do. Play some music through them and let them warm up and burn in....
Old November 17, 2007, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Im watching normal AVI/MP4 movies and I can't seem to get 5.1 sound. What I mean is nothing i playing out of the rear speakers. Ive been toying around with options but it doesnt seem to change anything. I know that the movies are not 5.1 encoded, but I want it to play through rear speakers as well. Im using media player classic any ideas on how to do this?

Also what do I select in this option for full range speakers?

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/8238/68649371iy5.jpg

Last edited by Mconline; November 17, 2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old November 17, 2007, 06:01 PM
Allstar

You do NOT have full range speakers. So set them as small. I am unfamiliar with setting on that system So when using analog I would think using CMSS3D upmix would give you sound from the rears sat's. If your in Digital mode I would guess Stereo X2 would do it.
Perhaps a user with the set can help you further. Hope this helps.
Old November 17, 2007, 06:04 PM
Rookie

ah so those 2 check boxes should remain unchecked? And yes I use the 3d software to make my music go on all speakers however this seems to not works with movies...might be software though...
Old November 17, 2007, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
You do NOT have full range speakers.
Wow really?!? Damn... so what the heck is a full range speaker and does it even exist for PC? Since they all have a tweeter for the high, cost ~300$ and are much better than those I had, I though they were full range (Z-5500).

As for Mconline, you gotta use the CMSS-3D and set it to Stereo-Surround 50%, just like you do for the music if you have the decoder set to 6-Channel Direct. Else you don't need CMSS-3D if you have set the effect at Stereo X2.