Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13, 2007, 07:38 AM
Allstar

You will notice a drastic difference between a SB Live 24 Bit and a Auzen Prelude 7.1. You can try both if you want BUT the DAC's in the card are better then the DAC's in the Z-5500 speaker system. Hope that helps.
Old September 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

How is driver support for the Prelude under Vista? I am itching to go with Vista, but I also want to enjoy this card since I am getting one soon.
Old September 13, 2007, 05:37 PM
Allstar

Actually the drivers installed the first time around. The only glitch is with ALchemy. The released version which is 1.7.0.0 doesn't recognize the Prelude. You can get version 1.3.0.0 there is a link in the thread to Auzen site where the have the app posted. Other then that I haven't heard of any issues with Vista. The card and drivers are solid. Thay are writing a new version of ALchemy that includes support for the Prelude 7.1. Hope that helps.
Old October 24, 2007, 11:39 AM
Trial Member

Default hey Robcix-

So Rob since you tested both cards in your reviews which is better for music? The ASUS Xonar or the Xfi Prelude?
I can get either one
Old October 24, 2007, 11:56 AM
Allstar

You would be happy with either card for music. The Prelude is more of a gamer card. Either card sound amazing so picking which sound the best would take very carful listening tests. Not much help I guess.
Old November 9, 2007, 01:05 AM
Rookie

Hello first time poster here. What Headphones would you recommend with this card. I would like to stick under 200 bucks for a good 5.1 pair of headphones. I was looking at the barracuda but I heard the bass wasnt satisfying. Basicly I would like something that trully reflects what this card can do...if not close to it :P I will be using these headphones for everything. I play games as much as I listen to music (trance mostly and some punk rock) as much as I listen to movies. So i really need something good for 5.1. If I woudnt want 5.1 I would buy the sennheiser hd555 :P so if 5.1 is not possible Im going for those ^^.
Old November 9, 2007, 08:37 AM
Allstar

The Prelude has CMSS3d for headphones so it will give you "Virtual" Surround over normal headphones such as the HD555's. There are quite a few decent 5.1 sets out there. I have actually been looking at a few sets myself. Zalmans are said to be very good. You need to do some research and see what people say about the different models of 5.1 cans. Hope that helps.
Old November 9, 2007, 08:51 AM
Rookie

Honestly the only reason I look for the 5.1 set of headphones is because I want to get the most out of this card. I feel that even buying a nice pair like the HD555 doesnt really unlock full potential. Honestly its more because I see the HD555 taking up only 1 jack out of the 5 on the card that I think Im wasting it. Hmmm...how closs would the virtual technology to reproduce surround sound come to the 5.1 sound. Im trying to dig up Decent reviews but Im really not getting far.
Old November 9, 2007, 03:49 PM
Allstar

Actually, I have never had the opportunity to listen to a 5.1 set of headphones. I have used both Dolby Headphone and CMSS3D for headphone technology while gaming and listening to music and movies. CMSS3D is the Headphone feature available on the Prelude. CMSS3D is a good technology and does a great job of approximating a 5.1 speaker system over a set of normal stereo headphones. I cannot comment on a comparison between the two types. Playing games with CMSS3D engaged gives accurate directional audio and a "virtual" 5.1 audio field. Which I could help you more, with your decision. Perhaps a local shop might let you try both?
Old November 9, 2007, 03:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

SMSS3D is no replacement for real DDL encoding though. I can't wait until they finally release the driver set that gives it to me!!!!